Moderator Control Panel ]

CBBT Virgin, looking for rod/lines to rig..

Fishing reports from the Tidewater area and lower Chesapeake Bridge

CBBT Virgin, looking for rod/lines to rig..

Postby lineastenso » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:58 pm

I'll be fly fishing the CBBT light lines for the 1st time in early Dec. What would be the best rod/line combination to get down to the big girls?

Re: CBBT Virgin, looking for rod/lines to rig..

Postby kendalloz » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:42 pm

There is not one simple answer to that question. Sometimes the biggies are on top and you can see them and a floating line works. Other times they are not on top and you have to dredge, even at night. So the best way to prep for the CBBT is 3 rods...floater, intermediate, and fast sinker. If you after the big fish use a heavier rod and leader. The fish will run around pilings and wear or break you off. Small fish can be controlled with small rods. And take some big flies if bunker are around and some small flies of the bait is small. So, the answer is complicated.

I guess this is the dream rig but it is 6 rods. Three lightweight rods for schoolies (floater, intermediate, and sinker like T14 in 7 or 8 weight) and three in larger sized (10 to 11) in a floater, intermediate, and a sinker (t14). Big and small flies! ;)

If you do hook a big fish on a light rod back off the drag and follow it until you are in clean water away from the bridge. Then turn the drag back up and go. If you try to pull on a fish that has turned a piling or gone over a tube you will lose.

Postby lineastenso » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:07 pm

Koz:

Thanks for the info, most appreciated. My plan is to use a 10wt with a cold water intermediate or a 320gr Teeny on a TFO Baby Blue to go deep. If the big girls are down deep then my Albright 12wt with a 500 gr RIO deep sinker.

Would a eel type fly be of any use at this time of year?

Postby bhorsley » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:51 pm

the last time if fished it black clousers and black deceivers were the ticket --from 3 to 5 inches in length
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby kendalloz » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:25 pm

The 12 is probably overkill but will work.

Malcom Pine, the father of CBBT light line fishing, used a black over purple Clouser. But a lot of flies work. Matching size to the bait is likely more important than color. And finding hungry fish. Since the bait is often small a Clouser or Deciever will usually work.

Last year there were very few big fish on top in the light line...for sight fishing. There were also few schools of dinks under birds in the daylight. Folks in the know could scrape out a catch here and there but it was not nearly as good as years past. Hopefully this year will be better. If I had to guess I'd say there will be a lot of dinks this year (under 20-inches) and the big fish might remain scarce.

Postby kendalloz » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:31 pm

oops...and regarding eel flies lots of beauties have been tied and fished and some worked a bit but you are better off with a Clouser or deceiver.

Postby lineastenso » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:53 pm

Brian & Coz:

Good oil, back to rigging and the tying bench.

Return to Tidewater / Lower Chesapeake Bridge