Moderator Control Panel ]

36th annual trip to Maine

Freshwater Reports from near and far

36th annual trip to Maine

Postby Emerson » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:06 am

4 of us traveled to Northeast Maine last week.....Jim and I for our 36th time and Gary and Art for their 15th time. The temps were a bit lower than here...highs in the beginning of the week were around 45 degrees. We of course started out with 2 days of rain..oh well!

The hatches were about 3 weeks off. We got there on Monday and fished Grand Lake Stream around 1:15 PM for landlocked salmon. Luckily for us a hendrickson hatch occurred from 1:30 until 3 pm the last few days. We have never hit this hatch before. We all had just tied some hendricksons a month before at one of our fly tying sessions....just in case, as winter stayed longer in our area as well. We all got some landlockeds...some a real nice size. Sadly there were no caddis hatches. The caddis hatches start around 8 pm and last into dark. Now this meant no more landlocked fishing :| :o We fish for bass on lakes from 8 AM until 5:30 PM....eat dinner then typically go to the stream from 7:30 until 10 pm. There was absolutely no fish eating caddis bugs in any form. Plus, the stream was running as low as we have seen it due to the less than usual snow melt.

We managed to have some fantastic bass days. All on top with poppers. In Maine, poppers can imitate minnows, small bass eating minnows, frogs and even bugs. The temps were so cold that we only had black flies. The dragon flies were just starting..like maybe a few seen the last 2 days. So the bass were very suspect and picky...pop then let the popper sits and either an explosion or maybe a small sip!

Our fish averaged 15-16" with the largest being 20"..only one of those. We did get a number of pickerel over 20"

All in all a super time! Cannot wait for the return next June. If anyone is interested in info about a great place to go in Maine, please contact me. The name of the place we went for 36 years is Weatherby's...Grand Lake Stream, ME. http://weatherbys.com

IMG_0362.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Re: 36th annual trip to Maine

Postby kendalloz » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:47 pm

:mrgreen:

Re: 36th annual trip to Maine

Postby BlueHeron » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:26 pm

Thanks!
I always like hearing your Maine report.
Sounds most excellent.
Dave
the bus came by and I got on
that's when it all began

Return to Freshwater Fly Fishing