Moderator Control Panel ]

Back to an Old Favorite

Freshwater Reports from near and far

Back to an Old Favorite

Postby AMJohnston » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:46 am

I am headed up to Scott Lake Lodge on Tuesday of next week (Monday flight to and overnight in Saskatoon). It has been a couple of years since I've been there. It will be interesting to see the changes Tom Klein has made to the place.
We will be the first group in and I understand the ice is nearly completly gone although I'm told there may be a few icebergs on the lake.
Fishing by myself with a guide I have been trying to fish with for years.
I'll post a full report when I'm back.

Re: Back to an Old Favorite

Postby meatstick » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:39 pm

Great, Andy ... love those Scott Lake reports !! :mrgreen:

Postby Emerson » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:05 pm

Andy
Best of luck. Hope the 50" er comes on in!

Cannot wait for the report!
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby bhorsley » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:34 am

cool Andy tell everyone hello for me. What a FIRST CLASS place
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby AMJohnston » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:26 am

Oh the joys of fishing in the Far North--here's an e-mail I received from the Lodge this morning:
“While the weather forecast shows nice temps in the upper 60s do bring some warm clothing. We have a considerable amount of natural air conditioning available—lots of ice is still hanging on. The big melt that started two weeks ago was put into a big stall over the past five days with some very cool temps. But fear not: we will get you fishing on Wednesday and it will not be with tip-ups. Most of our fly out lakes are now open and ready for fishing. We will have at least parts of Scott available. Monday and Tuesday will have temps in the mid to upper 60s with some wind. A lot of new water is opening up every day. It will be a unique experience: watching a lake fully break up during your five day stay. Our full staff has been on the island for a few days now. The island is ready to roll. See you all on Tuesday evening.”

Postby AMJohnston » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:43 pm

I'm back from the trip. The trip overall was great; the fishing good.
The theme of the trip was "Frozen" (cue here to music from the Disney movie). As alluded to in my prior post, a cold snap the week before guests arrived put a hold on the ice melt and there was still significant ice on Scott Lake and some of the larger fly out lakes when we flew to Scott on June 10th. Even the lakes that did not have ice on them were colder than the norm, which affected fishing. There was a large ice flow south of the lodge and if the wind blew from the south over the flow, the temperature would drop 20 degrees. Crazy.
It has been 3 years since I set foot on the island and it was great to be back. Lot's of familiar faces but even the staff I did not know quickly seemed like old friends.
There are a couple of new cabins on the island and, as I remembered, the food and accomodations were first class. Hot tub, sauna, and (unfortunatley) WiFi on the whole island (I did not tell work that I could see e-mails). Tom Klein took a recreation center that did not get much use and turned it into a watering hole where guests could hang out on chnageover day during the peroid between when they had to be out of their cabins (so that staf could clean them for the incoming guests) and when the planes arrived to fly us off the island. A typical Tom effort to make the entire guest experience (even on change-over day) better.
I fished with guide Steve Linder aka Biff Piston (don't ask). Biff is a "larger than life" character. He is the MC for the trophy presentations every night and leads it with good humour. I have been trying to fish with Biff for many years and was excited to make it happen this year.
The weather was generally sunny and warm, which lead to the ramped up expectations--alas.
I caught 10 trophy pike (40"+) over the five days, including 5 in a 90 minute span on Day 2 in one bay on a fly out lake, all sight fishing and able to see all the takes.The longest was 44". I flew to fly out lakes each day but the last, when I stayed on Scott.
The highlight of Day 1, was fishing an outflow of one of the lakes and over a two hour period catching 12 lake trout and 4 pike, 2 of which were mid-30s. I was by myself most of that time as Biff was dealing with some motor issues and handling the big pike to release them is always fun. Thank goodness for barbless hooks. There was a huge trout cruising through one of the pools but although she follwoed the fly a few times, I could not get her fired up to eat--still very exciting to see a lake trout that big.
Day 2 was the 5 trophy day. The rest of the day was slow.
Day 3 we flew to one of the bigger flyout lakes and it still had ice on it. Caught fish all day and 3 trophies but the lake was still really cold from the ice.
Day 4 was another flyout to a lake Biff loves. Two trophies but not much action overall.
Day 5 was on Scott and we were on a mission to find big girls. We found them (probably 25+) in clear, shallow bays but I couldn't get one to eat. Even some of the smaller pike were lock jawed from the cold water.
Despite the 5 pounds of flies I took with me, I used the black bunny leech 90% of the time. It is the old relaible fly that the guides like you to use. I fished with the Sage Pike rod with a the Rio pike line (floating) and the Sage Peacock Bass rods with an Outbound short floating line. Each performed ably.
I'll post some photos shortly.

Postby Emerson » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:10 pm

Great report Andy! Sounds like a super time!
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby GaryF » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:13 am

Looking forward to the photos, Andy - sounds like quite the adventure - enjoyed reading your report - thanks
If people concentrated on really important things in life, there’d be a shortage of fishing poles. ~ Doug Larson

Return to Freshwater Fly Fishing