Moderator Control Panel ]

Alaska fishing

Freshwater Reports from near and far

Alaska fishing

Postby mdfish » Tue May 27, 2014 7:14 am

My trip is only a month away now and I am looking for good information on what to wear. I am staying near Anchorage. Mostly fishing the Kenai area June 20-30th. I am trying to decide between xtratuff and muck boots. Also what if any insect repellent clothes has anyone had good luck with? I have seen ryhnoskin, and other brand insect gear. Is it worth the cost? I have a good rain jacket and my splash guard kayak pants. I plan to rent waders and gear from trout fitters with whom I am fishing with during the trip.

Do you buy your fishing license online before you go or when you get there?
Anything not to forget to pack? (I want to only take a carry on)

I don't even know enough to know what to ask. I am going with a guide only once for a day. The rest of the time I will be hiking in or going out in the deep water with the family I am staying with.

Re: Alaska fishing

Postby mdfish » Tue May 27, 2014 8:00 am

It looks like the Kenai Kings will be catch and release only which is fine as long as I can still fish through that area.

Postby Coach11 » Tue May 27, 2014 8:37 pm

I fished in Alaska two summers ago. We had great success with salmon and halibut. The temperature in Virginia was 100+ but out there it was in the 40s in July. So, in addition to your rain gear, be sure to take some warm clothes and good socks. I would also recommend the Xtratuff boots over the muck boots. I am sure your guide will have insect repellent. Don't forget your camera. The scenery is incredible. I might also suggest that you spend a day in Seward and take a Kenai Fjord Boat Tour of Resurrection Bay. It is amazingly beautiful and the wildlife is incredible. Check out their website and webcam.

Have fun and good fishing.

http://www.kenaifjords.com/experience/k ... rs-webcam/

Postby Emerson » Wed May 28, 2014 6:16 am

We had gone in in Aug when the bugs were done...we still used major insect repellant every day.....mandatory. Buy your license online...very easy. The weather is rain almost each day..possibly. The temps could vary during the day from the 30's to the high 70's. Unfortunately you must be prepared for everything. I do not know how you could possibly go there to fish with just a carry-on. We took 2 rain jackets and it was worthwhile as the rain was so bad the one time...my initial jacket did not keep the rain out...I needed my back-up as well. We had rain each day all day! It had rained for the 50th straight day! How about fishing equipment? The number of flies and tippet we used was huge due to hooking so much wood. You do not want to wade beyond mid-calf...yes mid-calf as the water can be flowing so fast and so much debris is washing on down stream.
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby Keysjake » Wed May 28, 2014 3:30 pm

Good Morning mdfish:

You can purchase your fishing license on line or at any shop either in Anchorage or down on the Kenai peninsula. You will not have a problem with bugs down in cooper Landing, any bug spray will work but some will mess up your flyline, I do not use it when I am fishing down on the Kenai, bring sun screen and good rain gear. The waders that you rent at Trout Fitters are good and they will also rent you the boots at the same time, I wear Crocks or Tivas not boots, while I am there during the summer months in that area. Call Dusty Bird Coulliette (the owner of AK Troutfitters in Cooper Landing) AK, http://www.aktroutfitters.com 907-595-1212 and ask her these questions in person, she was born there, her and her husband Billy are by far the best trout guides in Alaska! Feel Free to mention my name when you speak to her, that will help you.
Have fun and take pictures in the most beautiful place on earth.
Jake Jordan
Captain Jake Jordan

Postby diamondga » Wed May 28, 2014 7:45 pm

I would not think about going to coastal Alaska any season without pleanty of layers of polar fleece and good foul weather gear. For all your license and mis'l stuff, buy it at a local shop. You will get your money returned many times with friendly answers and you want that shop still open the next trip. Make sure you have double the memory cards you think you can use. I found that I took 250-500 photos per day ( I always shoot wildlife in burst) then delete that night. I'm no expert but have been twice for a month each time, unbelievable country and the locals are very friendly. You will have a great experience and look around. I'm just jealous; I have been trying to figure out how to get a busted up body back up there.

Return to Freshwater Fly Fishing