Moderator Control Panel ]

Alaska Fishing

Freshwater Reports from near and far

Alaska Fishing

Postby mdfish » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:43 pm

I am looking for some lessons learned from others on this board that have taken trips to Alaska to fish. My wife has family in Alaska and I am looking into planning a trip but have no idea as to time of year or where to try to go. I am guessing mid to late August. The family I am visiting has a bush plane and many types of fishing may be possible. I think I want to spend more time up river than in the bays but I know nothing more than that. Thanks in advance. :P

Re: Alaska Fishing

Postby Emerson » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:34 pm

You can go online and find the salmon ranges for local rivers. By this I mean...for example it will say: kings will be there 3rd week of June through 3rd week of July, silvers will be there 2nd week of Aug through.... etc. Each river might be a bit different but the fish return at approximately the same times each year. The kings are the largest, the silvers fight very hard. Sockeys pull like a truck, chum salmon can be very pretty and pinks come every other year. Rainbows are the most prized my many and are great on mice patterns. If you are interested in pike...there is no better place to take them.

The areas that I have fished is western Alaska...300 miles west of Anchorage near the towns of Aniak and Bethel. We have gone the 2nd week in August as we have found this time ok for most all salmon. If you want to target a specific spices then earlier or later might be better. Here the salmon run upstream from the ocean on the west coast. I do not know about the area south of Anchorage, the eastern portion or any coast but others might. The pike area would be in slower waters along larger river systems flowing east to west. Also..bugs are way fewer than in late June or early July.

Of course we all know Alaska is a very large area so first we would need to know where you are staying and find a place nearer to that. The float or bush planes might take you 100 miles from your destination so.......proximity is important. Best to contact local people close to your wife's family as they would know way way better and more than me with my '3 entire week of' expertise...ha ha.

So, bottom line.....mid Aug is good for most, bugs are less but kings are fewer as well.

Once you make a decision and if it is in the western section, I can help on what we used in our areas. Others are sure to add more.
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Re: Alaska Fishing

Postby mdfish » Tue May 27, 2014 7:13 am

My trip is only a month away now and I am looking for good information on what to wear. I am staying near Anchorage. Mostly fishing the Kenai area June 20-30th. I am trying to decide between xtratuff and muck boots. Also what if any insect repellent clothes has anyone had good luck with? I have seen ryhnoskin, and other brand insect gear. Is it worth the cost? I have a good rain jacket and my splash guard kayak pants. I plan to rent waders and gear from trout fitters with whom I am fishing with during the trip.

Do you buy your fishing license online before you go or when you get there?
Anything not to forget to pack? (I want to only take a carry on)

I don't even know enough to know what to ask. I am going with a guide only once for a day. The rest of the time I will be hiking in or going out in the deep water with the family I am staying with.

Return to Freshwater Fly Fishing