Moderator Control Panel ]

Trout report from SE PA

Freshwater Reports from near and far

Trout report from SE PA

Postby Emerson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:36 pm

I looked at weather...rain started last night and was to continue through the day and night....but wasn't supposed to be super hard until the afternoon......PURRRRRRFECT. Weather that is "Not for Everyone"

Started fishing at 8:30 AM.....in the rain. I figured the crowds would be low......very true. No One Seen on the stream....Goldmine! These conditions however are not for everyone!

All of those dots on water are from rain drops!

IMG_0433_2.jpeg

Started out fishing a known fish harboring hole...I saw fish...actually 2 golden trout. I had 2 fish on for a bit plus a golden on for a bit. I was using every thing I could think of for fishing deep...these guys have(in the past) eaten the weener, SJ worm, zebra but today only a half hearted tug here and there. I started to walk upstream and had one or 2 fish follow from behind rocks but no real chompers. My ADD or really ADHD started to kick in....the nymphing is slow, could not see what was happening, etc. I switched to the olive and white marabou streamer. Right away I had some flashes, smacks and even eats......
From here on it was game on! The fish were primarily in rocks....I could see them come out of cracks, come up from holes between rocks and swirl and attack. I walked upstream and then fished downstream for quite a way..... It was lots of action with fish swirling, flashing, following, eating..coming out of dark places where I did not see them until I pulled the fly away.....Major action!

IMG_0428.jpeg

It rained the entire time and sometimes it was hard. Lots of debris coming downstream...sticks, tree droppings(flowers, seed pods). Time to quit when the ears got wet! Stayed until noon.

IMG_0431_2.jpeg

Now I did not count how many fish I had but here is some algebra about the time I fished:

Let N= the number in the net
Let F= the number that flashed/swirled at the fly
Let H= the number that hit the fly but did not stay on
Let S= the number seen caused by fly moving
Let > = greater than

N > the usual number that I catch
H > N
F > H + N
S > F

Some of the brown trout areas that I have fished before, sadly have silted in. However, I found other rocks a bit deeper where the browns hide to ambush. The rainbows were next to the rocks primarily in holes or in between rocks. This does get pounded but what public place doesn't.
Great time to go..when it is not for everyone!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Re: Trout report from SE PA

Postby bhorsley » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:38 pm

nice report
but i usually count 1 2 3 4 and if i need more i take off my shoes???
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby Cutter » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:10 pm

Geek. :lol:
The world is your oyster-
So show up with a knife and know how to shuck.

Postby KnotCase » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:59 am

Nicely done there, old timer! :lol:
"You may attend a party where strange customs prevail."
- Fortune Cookie

Return to Freshwater Fly Fishing