Moderator Control Panel ]

Favorite Western NC trout stream?

Freshwater Reports from near and far

Favorite Western NC trout stream?

Postby Reefing » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:48 pm

So I moved to the outer banks about seven years ago and have been pursuing inshore species on the fly ever since. Before that I lived in California, and regularly fished for trout in mammoth and the Eastern sierras. I have recently gotten the trout flybug again and I am itching for some freshwater trout action. What's your favorite stream/creek in Western North Carolina (or a days drive from the Outer Banks)?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

John

Re: Favorite Western NC trout stream?

Postby Riprock » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:19 am

Manteo is a long way from the hills so you're looking at the Blowing Rock-Boone area as the closest with public water. The Davidson River in Brevard has large, smart old browns that only seem to eat #20 nymphs every other hour. The fish are big because a hatchery washes all excess trout chow into the river and therefore it is also crowded on weekends. The North Mills is near the Asheville airport and is a delayed harvest water, generally smaller but willing fish. I haven't fished the Tuckaseegee or Toe that are north of Asheville.

The Watauga is a tailwater and can be waded or floated. My favorite is the South Holston, another tailwater, in eastern Tenn. That is a long, long ride from Manteo and best fished once with a guide. It feels very much like a big western braided river. A good idea would be to pick up a copy of Eastern Fly Fishing which is all about where to fish. It lists all kinds of smaller rivers in NC, VA etc. Here's a guide service in Asheville, Teo Whitlock is exceptional, www.altamontanglers.com. Hunter Banks is a good fly shop in Asheville with guides and stream reports, www.hunterbanks.com. A smaller shop, curtiswrightoutfitters.com/ is in Biltmore Village.

Hope this helps,
Rip Woodin

Postby Biff » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:58 pm

My favorite is the Tuck, I fish about 5 or 6 miles of it around Sylva as trout water, downstream from there it is more smallie oriented. I hit that a few days every year and have consisitent 16-18 inch brown and bows, occasionally a 20 or so and watched Clint (guides for Hookers fly shop) fight a 30 or so last year before popping him off at the net. Lots of variety in that you can do skinny slow waters, faster stuff down in the gulches, and find nice pools and runs in a short span. Also love the Raven Fork in Cherokee for big fish, I have a 24" bow there, and an 18" golden - it can fish hard after certain weekend times but if you work up from the school to the gorge there are some great spots. The Davidson is legendary but I have yet to work it much, I also like the west fork of the Pigeon just past the lake - have had some really nice days for small fish and one or two larger ones there. - check out the Flycasters section here, we are doing a session out there in October this year. If you are going in a family or other group, let me know, I have a rental in Maggie Valley that is pretty central to all of the above :)
You can never take a picture of a thing, you can only take a picture of the light on a thing - "the way that light attaches to a girl"

Postby 19mko » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:59 am

Stone Mountain State Park in Roaring Gap and the Mitchell River in Dobson are probably the closest trout waters to the outer banks. The Green Drake http://www.thegreendrake.com/ in Winston Salem can help you out with flies and fishing info.

Return to Freshwater Fly Fishing