Re: Yikes Pike

Postby bhorsley » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:27 pm

wax on the ferrels or super glue will fix them sounds like a super trip
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby AMJohnston » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:52 pm

one thing I forgot to write in my earlier post:
The MSTPA folks take extraordinary care of this fishery. They mesure the fish in the water (rather than pull them out of the water) because its better for the fish. They probably measure short as a result but they wouldn't have it any other way. They don't use cradles for big fish because a cradle can injure a the fish and remove important slime. Fish come out of the water only for a quick photo. Single barbless hooks on all flies and lures. On the last day of the first week, we spent a good 30 minutes reviving a 45 incher that Hugh caught.
Its really a joy to watch.

Postby KnotCase » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:45 pm

Andy, I think everyone was disappointed that the fish gods did not allocate a 48 or larger to you - because you're the only one of us who had already paid his dues on this kind of fishing.
"You may attend a party where strange customs prevail."
- Fortune Cookie

Postby Emerson » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:15 am

First..thanks Andy for the idea to go pike fishing and getting the rest of us totally sold on the idea!
Second: the most amazing thing to me was the nature of the fishery. Every drop of water in the sloughs and lakes that we fished, empty out and go dry before winter. Something that if someone else told me about, I would not believe them. Our houseboat lodge has wood placed under it as it slowly sinks to the lake's bottom for the winter. Most major rivers and all water left are frozen solid by halloween. The pike move in as the ice melts and the water comes up. The lay their eggs in the grass as the water from the snow creates lakes, sloughs and new water ways. The young fish grow rapidly while the larger pike remain and their major food source is to eat each other! As the water recedes during the summer, the pike constantly are on the move. Maybe a group of pike will be around 2 days in a row but who knows. Consequently guiding is a very learned thing. The guides must know haunts from years past at different water levels and different blow downs and on and on. The first week of the adventure, after our travel debacle, gave us luck in weather and being able to find fish....not all the time but a few banner epic days. Alaska is an adventure in itself and throw these monster wolves in water in the mix and it can be a fly fishing dream. To get a fish that is 40" means the fish is 20 years old and grows an inch a year after that threshold. So to live 20 - 30 years in this harsh environment and to thrive is quite a feat in itself.
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby BlueHeron » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:38 am

WOW, what an amazing trip!
Looks over the top in every way.
Hugh - stunning photos.
Dave
the bus came by and I got on
that's when it all began

Postby meatstick » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:07 am

Hugh's photos are the bomb ... always superb.

Had to post this pic of a sign over a swingin' night spot ... up near where
Andy hails from. The customer base reminds you of Walter Matthau, Jack Lemmon, and Burgess Meredith. Ha !!

Postby AMJohnston » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:43 am

Where in northern WI is "Club Northern"?
Remember the great Grouch Marx line: "I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a memeber."

Postby meatstick » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:18 am

Andy, don't know ... I tried to Google it but only came up with a T&A bar
called "Northern Club". The poster only said that it was a somewhat "rural" town in Wisconsin. Ha !! ... that really narrows the field. :roll:

Joking aside, I wish I was up there right now. In my teens I spent 4 summers in Wisconsin/Minnesota. Never packed the fly gear, dang it.
Only a devil-stik and a few daredevil spoons and a few Mepps spinners.
The locals figured I was a good kid with that kinda tackle, and the fish liked me up there. Hain't been back since, but your Musky trip had me itchin'.

Previous

Return to Freshwater Fly Fishing