Moderator Control Panel ]

Yikes Pike

Freshwater Reports from near and far

Yikes Pike

Postby Emerson » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:47 pm

Traveling to the Yukon River drainage area is not easy. It took us 72 hrs from my door to the first cast! Bad weather, lost bag (long story) and just few flights and long waits.

These are the only pics I have due to picture issues along the way. Hugh will post a bunch when he finally gets back from his 3 day return ordeal.

Here is Andy Johnston with a 44" pike taken on a red and white hollow fly with a bunny strip added
IMGP1147.JPG
h

Gary Fried took this sheefish with a red and white whistler. These guys are located on 4 river drainages in the entire world!
IMGP4316.JPG

I took this guy on a 14" black yak hair creation. It was 46" and weighed around 28 lbs.
emerson.jpg

The benchmark for counters is 40". The 4 of us took 62 fish 40" and over. They call 47" tankers and we had 4 of 47" and one 48".
The Sage Bass rod in the largemouth and peacock size accounted for a lot of fish and were the perfect match for these fish. The number one line was Rio Outbound coldwater line.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Re: Yikes Pike

Postby Todd » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:14 pm

Outstanding!!!! :D :D

Postby KnotCase » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:54 pm

I'll post more later, but here are some pics of some of our nicer fish:
Pike Trip-103.jpg

Pike Trip-102.jpg

Pike Trip-100.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"You may attend a party where strange customs prevail."
- Fortune Cookie

Postby KnotCase » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:57 pm

Two more...
More Pike-101.jpg

More Pike-100.jpg
"You may attend a party where strange customs prevail."
- Fortune Cookie

Postby bhorsley » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:01 pm

good stuff guys
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby meatstick » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:19 pm

Awesome. Somehow I knew Gary would score the first sheefish. :mrgreen:

E: can you describe the wire to leader connection ? Were they attaching the fly with a large snap ? Wire seems very long ... necessity ?

Thems is gorgeous pike. :mrgreen:

I was wondering what the landscape looked like around there, now I know.

Water clarity ?

Postby kendalloz » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:26 am

:o :shock:

Postby Emerson » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:00 am

As to leaders...to say these guys are not leader shy is an understatement....

We all started out with Orvis toothy critter leaders...wire was about 1 ft. The mono was a bit too supple for some of our large flies..no problem for the 6" flies. The guys made some new leaders with existing materials. They used about 3 ft of 64 lb hard mono..the stuff that is $5 per mile! Then they added 18" of 50 lb titanium. When we ran out of that or they did not have that on the boat..we used 100 lb titanium. Gary's leader was a straight 5 ft of 100 lb titanium. The clasps were a super heavy double safety clasp. I even tried a sailfish popper..it worked and floated the heavy leader. We used floating lines and retrieved as soon as the fly hit. Sometimes you would get a hit the second the fly hit the water.

I lost 2 large fish to a clasp that opened on the fight...they were 50 lb rated but way too light. That means I lost the fly as well. The initial hit is off the charts. If you used steel leaders they would be a one and done deal since the pike do the death roll and would have kinked them all up. The titanium did not kink for a long time..it worked for maybe 30 fish before retiring. I had my fly line loop break on a large fish just due to the 64 lb leader cutting through the loop. I just made a double surgeons knot at the end and put a new leader on. Back in action.

Water clarity..as clear as a tannic system is..maybe 2 feet down...the fish are so large that it is easy to see them. They also give a huge push or wake following the fly. My flies even gave a huge wake.. :lol:
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby meatstick » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:29 pm

Is it the Boss who is not a big advocate of "titanium" ? Can't remember
why.

Andy, how did the leader system differ from the Scott Lake system ?
I mean, assuming it did.

E, way to improvise in mid-stream !!

Postby bhorsley » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:18 pm

titanium has a tipping point and if you go to far with the bend it breaks--every time

Scott's leaders were simple --i used either a 9 foot tapered 20, 16 or 12 pound leader with 12 to 24 inches of Rio 20 pound tie-able wire or Andy used Tyger. Rio makes the wire in 20, 30, 40 pound any of it would of worked. Pike as a rule ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer--that's why we like them. Scott's and the surrounding lakes were smaller on average--a blue million 38 inchers and there was always some over 40.

Pike are one cool unit. :P
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Next

Return to Freshwater Fly Fishing