Moderator Control Panel ]

Mixed bag on local stream

Freshwater Reports from near and far

Mixed bag on local stream

Postby Emerson » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:28 am

I fished the "Tully" near Reading, PA again yesterday morning. The water flow was 80 CFS..loooow. In August it might go to 90 cfs. It should be 250 to 300 right now. They had let the lake down during the winter expecting snow and rain this winter and spring. That did not happen!

IMG_0027.jpg

Had a carp on twice as large as this one. That one ran up and down the pool I was fishing. It the slowly came in about 3 feet, all of a sudden it exploded away and snapped the 6X....my drag could not accept that change in speed..
This guy ate then and ran up and down the pool I was fishing then ran down to Bill's pool...great way to hijack a pool as it took me a long time...Bill had to move ha ha. I got it in the net. As I lifted the net a bit, I felt the handle almost breaking so I grabbed it with 2 hands. This might have been 8 lbs. The other one was twice that size! All of the ones ate sucker spawn..the suckers are really doing it. The 2 of us were the only ones fishing as far as we could see either way...both the areas we were fishing were good but his was better...not for long :lol:

Bill had to leave..I stayed at his pool and saw that the trout finally started to look up and were eating midges..
as he was driving away!

Number of these guys ate the #24 griffiths gnat
IMG_0032.jpg

The brown trout are the prized fish....usually closer to shore here...the far one of course!
IMG_0036.jpg

We use 2 flies. When fishing under the water, I have a weighted fly(some nymph) and sucker spawn with no weight tied to the hook. One time my fly (weighted one) got hooked on a log in the water....I walked over to get it off...sacred about 50 suckers and one goes by and foul hooks the unhooked fly and frees my entire rig then falls off....purrrrfect use of suckers! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Re: Mixed bag on local stream

Postby meatstick » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:38 am

Ha !! You figure a way to hook everything ... and I mean everything. :mrgreen:
I was forced to settle for dinky panfish, but I stayed semi-bowed for hrs.

Last edited by meatstick on Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby kendalloz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:26 pm

Pretty goldfish!

Postby Emerson » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:44 pm

Good job LJMMMLB..like those guys

Heh KO....we need the other carp.... ;)

Emerson

Postby meatstick » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:48 pm

The giant saltwater "Bull" carp ?

Postby XXXi2 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:54 am

Nice work. 80 cfs is pretty dry; I can't remember seeing it that low, even in the doldrums of summer drought.
Gotta love the carp. To be fair, in the Tully, it's more fun to catch a carp than a trout.
20" is not 20 lbs.

Postby Emerson » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:28 pm

True..some of the trout are good sized but not 15 lbs on a 5 wt..The level just dropped to 58 CFS...tomorrow AM.....sucker spawn and a heavier leader!

Emerson

Return to Freshwater Fly Fishing