Moderator Control Panel ]

Virginia River Muskies

Freshwater Reports from near and far

Virginia River Muskies

Postby flyinby » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:15 pm

Had a great day last week with my good friend Blane Chocklett and Jake Grove... Caught these two fish and had another follow, despite a ton of wind and a rather uncooperative sinking line.(I brought a tropical sinker instead of the cold stuff)Blane's averaging three to four fish a day boated, and numerous follows as well. He and his flies get it done, and if you live in the mid-atlantic, you don't have to travel to the northern territories to catch these great fish. They seem to appear from nowhere, often materializing right beside the boat, or coming up from under to take the fly. Sometimes they simply crush the fly, and others just softly grab it and swim off with it...Check out New Angle Fishing Company on facebook, or call Blane at 540-354-1774.

Re: Virginia River Muskies

Postby Emerson » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:01 pm

Heh Martin,
Great fish. I watched Blane's video at Tie Fest..it is major on my list! Thanks for sharing!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby kendalloz » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:27 pm

Excellent! Thanks for sharing. I need to try that one day!

Postby bhorsley » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:56 pm

awesome
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby Siessmack » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:57 pm

What river were you guys fishing? 3-4 boated a day sounds like some great success for musky. I fished for them in mid Feb in the New River. I got nothing, but some bait casters near me caught an 18 pounder. Will be trying again for them in mid April

Postby flyinby » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:33 pm

New and James rivers..

Postby Siessmack » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:55 pm

I was down in Blacksburg this weekend and planned to fish for Muskie sunday after the spring game saturday. I would have fished all afternoon but the Bleaksburg wind rain and 45 degree temps had other ideas. After watching and hoping for the weather to turn, I finally said screw it at 4:30 p.m. and went out for two hours Sunday evening in the pouring rain and wind. Went on down to a put in in Prices Fork and at least I was the only one there fishing. Paddled up stream a half mile or so and fished a long deep wooded run that I know holds at least one fish. Used a Chartreuse and Purple 12 inch streamer on my 10 weight with a 350 grain. Caught nothing on two passes down the bank. The wind made it extremely difficult to hold position off of the bank and I realized it's awfully hard to do a figure 8 motion out of the yak. I need to hit this section in a john boat for easier casting and positioning ability and with some better weather for a full day. The water was surprisingly warm, but I didn't take an exact temp.

I did see a Bald Eagle fighting a hawk or some other large bird in mid air for about 10 minutes. Wished I had a quality camera and some better light to take some shots. Not sure what the beef was but it was cool to watch. Also saw at least 10 muskrats swimming along the bank. No fish, but the the fishing certainly helped my hangover and sure made me miss that town even more.

Will try again this summer/asap...

Postby Junebug » Sun May 06, 2012 10:38 am

flyinby wrote:Had a great day last week with my good friend Blane Chocklett and Jake Grove... Caught these two fish and had another follow, despite a ton of wind and a rather uncooperative sinking line.(I brought a tropical sinker instead of the cold stuff)Blane's averaging three to four fish a day boated, and numerous follows as well. He and his flies get it done, and if you live in the mid-atlantic, you don't have to travel to the northern territories to catch these great fish. They seem to appear from nowhere, often materializing right beside the boat, or coming up from under to take the fly. Sometimes they simply crush the fly, and others just softly grab it and swim off with it...Check out New Angle Fishing Company on facebook, or call Blane at 540-354-1774.

Nice looking fish! They must be really fun on the flyrod.

I underestand they are non-native and were introduced in VA rivers not that long ago. Have there been any studies on their effect on native populations like the smallmouth bass or bream?

I hope this isn't considered political. I just want to know.

Junebug

Return to Freshwater Fly Fishing