Moderator Control Panel ]

A sucker is born every minute

Freshwater Reports from near and far

A sucker is born every minute

Postby Emerson » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:05 pm

IMGP3823.jpg

Bill and I planned to fish our bottom release stream, the Tully today. We knew it was going to rain..it did and still is. We knew it was going to be cold....it was ..it was 37 degrees but we did not realize before we got in the water that the Army Corp of Engineers were going to let a bunch more water out! We started out at 288 Cubic feet per second...within 15 minutes..or less...it went up to 442 CFS.....that changes the game plan drastically. We tried to fish, had a couple of fish on ..one almost in and we both survived! We left after and hour or so...wet, cold and happy. As I type, I just got a warning saying that we are under a flood watch!

A saying Bill and I have is.."This is not for everyone!" It was not!
IMGP3880.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Re: A sucker is born every minute

Postby kendalloz » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:53 pm

Em, How does that water volume change relate to depth and pressure on your body in the water?

I used to fish the New River a lot in college and when they turned up the flow places we could wade were suddenly over our heads!

Postby Cutter » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:34 pm

PV=nRT

That is, deep water makes for compressed hot gas. Dangerous in waders :?
The world is your oyster-
So show up with a knife and know how to shuck.

Postby BlueHeron » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:14 am

E goes stream fishing.
Army Corp turns up the flow.
E retreats in the nick of time.

So the story Flows

Hmmm
Is there a message here?
Does Margaret have the corps on Rapid dial?
Does she ever call you Bob or Eddy, Wave bye, or Chute you an email?
Dave
the bus came by and I got on
that's when it all began

Postby Emerson » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:38 am

Yes true to all.....har har ole bird of long neck and leg...CURRENTly, we SHORE did make it across

Remember physics class....if the vessel stays the same size.....more volume means more velocity and pressure, until the tipping point...hose breaks or in a stream, it goes over banks. We are not deep enough to feel the pressure..luckily but the compression on the waders can put undo pressure on tum-tum which causes internal pressure on our 'pipes'. Since these pipes has pretty much, one way valves...the pressure forces 'air' and anything loose in these pipes that the air might grab, out the opening of least resistance (enthalpy working again). Consequently, if waders are too tight, we might float butt side up, downstream. To combat that, we leave our waders open at the top and are able to walk to shore. Our noses take a beating, but they are use to it!
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby flyinby » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:28 pm

sounds like perfect sink tip and streamer time to me, E... Va is full of tailwaters...have hugged a tree or two trying to claw my way up the bank a few times here thanks to the corps of engineers......I don't recall if I gased myself in the process, though.. :lol:

Return to Freshwater Fly Fishing