Moderator Control Panel ]

Asheville NC trout streams?

Freshwater Reports from near and far

Asheville NC trout streams?

Postby Jdog » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:55 pm

Any body have info on a streams around Asheville NC? will be up there in December and was wanting to try my hand at flyrodding for a trout! I'll probably only get a few hours to try -

Any pointers I am extremely grateful for!

J

Re: Asheville NC trout streams?

Postby SlimyDeck » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:25 pm

In December, check out the delayed harvest section of the Tuckaseegee about 45 mins west of Asheville near Dillsboro. Lots of hatchery stockers plus some nice reproducing browns that eat 'em in this section. A little further west are the streams in Cherokee and then the Upper Nantahala.

Good luck and let us know how you do.
"The old man had taught the boy to fish and the boy loved him"

Postby Biff » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:58 am

Just got back last night from there, and had a really nice week fishing. Usually we spend some time in Cherokee fishing the Oconoluftee trophy section and going for serious bigun's but this week we stayed in free territory. As mentioned, the Tuck was strong, check Hookers Fly shop on Facebook for pics from last week, including some of me and a 20" bow I got on a tiny sulfur on one of the more sedate sections. Also got a 16" bow, and a fat 16+ brookie that was absolutely beautiful nymphing the runs. We averaged about 9 or 10 fish per day on the Tuck and West Fork of the Pigeon. Tried the Davidson but blanked there. Heard the French Broad was slow also. Try a hot head Marvin with a leader about twice the depth of the water as your primary with a small dropper behind, I used a golden stone fly as my second primary when I changed, both about as effective. For a dropper, a 16 or 18 copper john, lightning, anything small and flashy worked. Dries worked best in the eddies next to the runs after nymphing the riffles and runouts. 5x tippets most of the time, but down to 7 in slow water, especially on the dropper. Call Jason at Hookers Fly shop in Sylva for reports, he and his guides are all over fishing. The last day we were there one of his guides was fun fishing on the Tuck and we watched him fight an extreme overacheiver for 10 minutes, he says it was around 30 inches before it spit him on the 3rd approach. He just crawled up the bank and shook for awhile. It's still there, and I know where :)
You can never take a picture of a thing, you can only take a picture of the light on a thing - "the way that light attaches to a girl"

Postby UpstateAngler » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:01 pm

Jdog-

Our DH (Delayed Harvest) streams are fishing well now. Asheville is a great base for trout fishing. While there, stop by Hunter Banks Fly Shop, or check out Davidson River Outfitters. Both shops supply info, gear, flies and guides. Our DH streams are pretty simple- they are stocked all Fall/Winter for catch and release purposes. Then, in June, they revert back to catch-n-keep. Most DH streams are LOADED now, and 30+ fish days are certainly not uncommon. Close to Asheville, you can fish the N. Mills, the Green or the Davidson. A bit of a drive, and you're on the Nantahala, or the Tuckaseegee. All fish well, and trout can be caught just about every single day. Shoot me an email when you get ready to come and I'll give you a recent report. Also- don't worry too much about fly selection- standard nymphs, attractor dries, buggers and SJ worms ALL work. It's not too technical, but can be loads of fun.

Jeff

Fixit@FenderMenderSC.com

Postby Jdog » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:08 pm

Thanks yall, will definantly be checking out some of these places! got it Jeff, will get a report before I head that way -

Been ALONG time since I fished for trout and cannot wait.

J

Return to Freshwater Fly Fishing