Moderator Control Panel ]

South Fork of the Shendoah River

Freshwater Reports from near and far

South Fork of the Shendoah River

Postby TLT » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:43 am

After reading Harry Murray's article on the Shenandoah I thought it was time to get back on it since it has been almost eight years since I fished there because of moving away and especiallly after the fish kill of 2005. The river did not fail. We rented a cabin on the river and floated a section of the river where there is not a canoe livery. The scenery was as good as it gets with bald eagles and ospreys flying overhead, and the fishing was great. Admittedly, numbers of smallies are down somewhat, but once you crack the code of where they are concentrated the fishing is consistent. We caught quality fish on Sneaky Petes, Murray's Damsel Poppers, and Strymphs. My best two flies of the trip were a gurgler tied in the colors of an olive wooly bugger and a white cone head slider. It has cone head for weight, an arctic fox tail and krystal flash tail, white estaz body and a white foam back for the floatation. It behaves like a Rapala, and the fish piled on it. Our trip was cut short by a brutal thunderstorm yesterday which left was trying to ot run the thunder and lightening to get to the take out. The storm beat us there and was quite unnerving. Great tripa nd I am looking forward to the next summer when we will go a little earlier when there will be more water.

Re: South Fork of the Shendoah River

Postby Emerson » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:35 am

Great fun!! Except for Mr. Sparky :x

expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby kendalloz » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:15 pm

Great report! Love smallies!

Postby Siessmack » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:16 pm

Where did you get that idea for that conehead gurgler??? :D

Postby TLT » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:54 pm

If my memory serves me correctly it was a collaborative effort. I am gonna tie some in black, olive, and chartreuse.

Postby Siessmack » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:58 am

I need to see it with the fox tail. I threw that popper fly with a lip that you gave me. looks just like a rapala, very cool. do you buy those lips or make them?

Postby TLT » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:59 am

They are called Fly Llips. I know that Orvis has them. The name of the popper I gave you is called the Rose Lip Popper. Google it.

Postby Siessmack » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:16 pm

Cool thanks. How did you guys handle Irene? Have you tied anything with the Buffalo hair yet?

Return to Freshwater Fly Fishing