Moderator Control Panel ]

Code Crackin' and Peeping Toms

Freshwater Reports from near and far

Code Crackin' and Peeping Toms

Postby SlimyDeck » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:47 pm

Some of the looks I get are laughable, me stalking the shallow waters just off the the backyards of The Pointe mansions on Lake Norman, 7:00 am with my cap pulled low over my eyes and my polarized mirrored lenses reflecting the first rays of sunshine as it tops the trees........they look as though they'd like to hollar and tell me that I'm invading their space and their privacy and maybe even think I'm trying to get a peak through their windows at something they must think I find interesting, but instead they just look. They haven't a clue that I hardly even notice them or that I'm trying my best to see through "their" water, looking for the wave of an orange tail, or a fresh "puff", or the tale-tale bubbles...... If they knew that I was hunting carp, I think that they'd just shake their heads and go back inside.

Lot's of fish on the dimenishing flats as the hot summer is taking it's toll on Norman, now down about 3.5 feet. But the fish are hungry and have just pulled out a little further. Lot's of shots, but only a few eats but enough to keep me interested, and keep me on the bow of the boat plying the shallows and trying to crack the code on these fishes....
CrazyCharlie1.JPG

Carpin8-6 - 1.JPG

See ya!
Slimy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The old man had taught the boy to fish and the boy loved him"

Re: Code Crackin' and Peeping Toms

Postby Emerson » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:33 pm

Well done! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby meatstick » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:09 pm

Nice cryptology. That fish was stuck good. :mrgreen:

Postby flyinby » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:30 am

Right in the rubber.......

Postby Siessmack » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:15 pm

What kind of reel is that? nice goldfish

Postby SlimyDeck » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:31 pm

Loomis Current 5/6 - and that fish was the first to test the drag. It works....... :D

Postby JHasty » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:19 pm

>>> Like a lil more imfo on the fly, Nice pics!!

Postby SlimyDeck » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:52 am

Pretty much a standard Crazy Charlie - seems to have good action, punches through the air well, has right sink rate, blips rather than splats on entry, and hook-ups are solid. I think that the bonefish guys got it right on this one and I'm benefiting from their art.

Crazy Charlie
Hook: TMC 811S #4
Thread: 6/0 Uni Thread Tan
Eyes: Bead Chain
Underbody; Pearl Flashabou
Overbody: Vinyl Rib Med Clear
Wing: Tan Calf Tail

That said, I continue to try to crack the code and humbled by the carps most days. I've gone to an 11+ foot leader and 10# fluoro tippet, and using the 5 wt (vs a 7 or 8) that allows me to lay it down a little more subtly, all of which have improved the shot-to-eat ratio it seems.

If there are any other CHB's who frequent the boss's board, I'd love to hear more about what works for you.
Schnozzz.JPG

See ya'!
Slimy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Postby meatstick » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:25 pm

CHB's (?) Carp Huntin' Boys (?) ;)

Black bead-chain (check) tan craft fur for wing (pulsates in water even when motionless, plus it's rugged. Light-brown or tan thread for head wraps, zero flash material, orange belly (synthethic yarn on shank right behind eyes, just a couple wraps (not too much).

Behind the yarn two rubber legs (together) tied so they stick out the sides but angle down a bit (down: meaning when hook is in the vice with point up). I use translucent brown sili-legs with black specks. Let 'em stick out the sides about an inch.

I only use charlie type baits when fish are aggressively mudding/tailing/bubbling. If they're cruising or layed-up I go with a unweighted fly or very slow sinker, like a San Juan Worm or Ugly Bug. I have been experimenting with hooks. Excellent results from a Gammie SL45 ... another steal from the bonefish boys. Size 10 for the worm, size 8 for the ugly bug. Red (ultra-chenille) for worm (red only). Brown (regular chenille) for the ugly bug and dark colored round rubber legs (the round rubber provides the correct stiffness). no snickering people.

Pic of the ugly bug is not mine. Some generic trout hook.
Ugly Bug2.jpg

Why the SL45 ? It's non-flashy and super strong in sizes down to # 10.

Any dark non-weighted nymph that will slow-sink just due to the weight of the hook.

Postby SlimyDeck » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:04 pm

CHB....carp hungry b@$t@rd$.

It was a good morning for some pullage today......
bent.JPG

caudalscales.JPG

See ya!
seeya.JPG

Slimy

Return to Freshwater Fly Fishing