Moderator Control Panel ]

Intro Report - Into the Backing.....

Freshwater Reports from near and far

Intro Report - Into the Backing.....

Postby SlimyDeck » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:56 pm

I live at Lk Norman near CLT, get to the coast to hunt fishes when I can. When I can't, I enjoy hunting these with a passion on my home waters, along with spotted bass and the near extinct stripers resulting from last summer's kill and the changes that have occurred from proliferation of the non-native alewives.....

Into the backing 5 x on this beast:
Fish On1.JPG
Boatside1.JPG
29in1.JPG

Hit the 3 photog limit, will post more carp goodness in follow-up post.

Thanks for letting me have the bow for awhile.....
Slimy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The old man had taught the boy to fish and the boy loved him"

Re: Intro Report - Into the Backing.....

Postby SlimyDeck » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:03 pm

Another Pretty Face1.JPG
Fin1.JPG
Scales1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Postby SlimyDeck » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:05 pm

OK, I'll head back to the platform with the pole and let you all get the next shot......

See Ya!
Hello1.JPG

Slimy

Postby bhorsley » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:06 pm

nice report love those koy
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby Emerson » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:52 pm

Wow..great fish plus superb pics!!! :D :mrgreen:
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby Timbo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:10 pm

Ol' Mr. Golden Bone looks like a friend of mine. We tied up some "dog-food" flies, took our sack of dog chow down to Mid-Town Sundries there on your home waters and started chumbing one day about an hour before lunch. About the time the place was rocking, we were bowed up on the 9wt., and had already lost a few to the deck pillings. Definitely a lunch time diversion for the "Sundry" crowd. I can only bet with that being a power lake, that this summer it is BRUTALLY HOT!

Postby SlimyDeck » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:57 am

I can only bet with that being a power lake, that this summer it is BRUTALLY HOT!

Wed evening water temp was 92.4F at my dock and 91.2F on the main lake. Didn't see a fish. Early a.m. though the orange fish are piggies, sometimes backs or tails out of the water. I'm mid-lake equidistant to the two plants and the water does increase in temp some either way I go.

I keep 2 rods rigged, one with a common carp fly and the other with a leafy looking green fly. Although I haven't had an eat, the grass carp do come to look at the leaf fly. The grass carp look to be 30+ lbs and one of these days I hope to crack that code......there are those who claim that they can make 'em eat, that they go ape$3!+ when stuck, and that it's a wicked test for a 7 wt. I've gotta find out......

Postby meatstick » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:28 pm

SlimyDeck, you don't have to feed "grass" to grass carp. They will take a # 10 bushy nymph tied without weight. However, tie it on a serious egg pattern hook like a Daiichi
X510 or Gammie C14S. I use 10 lb fluoro tippet.

Yes, grass carp eat veggies ... but they eat critters also. There is not enough talk about that in fly-carp-world.

True story... a guy watched grass carp eating "real" blades of grass that had been expelled from a lawnmower used to trim the shoreline of a pond. Light bulb went on. He plucked a few blade of grass and went inside to his vise. He simply lashed 4-5 blades to the middle of a # 12 hook and went back to the pond to experiment. It worked, but the carp straightened out the size 12 hook. Using a more stout hook made the fly sink too fast ... not natural. He has since landed some fish, but with an extended fight.

Hex nymphs and dragonfly nymphs work well. Use tiny black plastic eyes made like clouser eyes.

Postby SlimyDeck » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:48 pm

Thanks for the input Stick. Just whipped up a couple bushy nymphs. Now that I have some direction, guess I'll have to go carpin' in the morning, darn-it. :twisted:

Return to Freshwater Fly Fishing