Moderator Control Panel ]

Alegator Gar

Freshwater Reports from near and far

Alegator Gar

Postby Junebug » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:33 pm

I'm going to the chickohominy this weekend and hope to get in some fishing. If anyone can give me a heads up on what to expect there, it would be much appreciated. We will be in the river around the River's Rest marina and motel. I have plenty of bass bugs, and small poppers if there is any topwater action around the banks.

I fished there with a friend about twenty yeas ago casting ( spin tackle) and we got into some gar. The way they fight, I think that would be fun on the flyrod. Any suggestions on flys? Size, color, material, etc and where to find them will be appreciated. I'm thinking an 8 wgt for the gars............

Thanks.

JuneBug

Re: Alegator Gar

Postby TLT » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:06 pm

Gar are fun on the fly. Google flies for them. They are tied with long strands of nylon rope for the tail. The rope gets caught in the gars' teeth. The hook just holds the rope. I have caught them on eight weights.

Re: Alligator Gar

Postby Junebug » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:00 pm

I got back to my trip on the Chickahominy this afternoon. It was a bust. My wife and I hit the water around 0630 and tried several areas a friend with local knowledge told me about. I had tied up some bunny flies, weighted and unweighted, and some rope flies. Bottom line is I didn't even see a single fish of any type. After about an hour of flinging the "gar" flies, I went to some poppers in and around the cyprus knees for some bass. No love there either.

It was a beautiful morning to be on the water, and my wife actually wanted to join me just to watch. Maybe next time............

JuneBug

Return to Freshwater Fly Fishing