Moderator Control Panel ]

Chunk in the Grass

Freshwater Reports from near and far

Chunk in the Grass

Postby Timbo » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:40 pm

Love the Yak, love the long rod, and the New has been too muddy, so a trip to the local Lexington NC water supply turned up this... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Chunk in the Grass

Postby kendalloz » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:06 am

Nice! And top water!

Postby Timbo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:26 am

Yup! My buddy Alvin Shaw said they were guarding fry. Don't know if that's the case or not, but yesterday morning, it was ON FIRE :o I caught 11 out of the Kayak by 10:00am, the biggest was 6 lb., and the best 5 fish weighed 20lb. total! That would get me placing in most base tornaments around here. CRAZY! The quote of the day though, came from a bass fisherman in a 25K$ bass boat... zoomed across the lake, starts fishing just 150 yards up bank from me in my direction (with acres & miles of open water). Gets to me and I ask if he's caught anything. "No, been fishing all morning, nutin, How about you, what'cha doing, crappie fishing! :roll: " Oh Brother, where art thou? I told him about the 10 fish I'd caught that morning. I think he though I was lying! Crappie fishing? Really! :roll:

Postby flyinby » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:01 pm

We regularly outfish the conventional guys on freshwater stripers here, in both size and numbers....Throwing a fly from a driftboat on our local waters, from the looks you get, you might as well be from another planet..........

Postby Timbo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:34 pm

Flyin, it's just great to be "sneaky" in a world of "noice", depth finders, trolling motors, hull slap, and the like. I'll be on the Snook in the Manatee River in FL next week -- I always seem to outfish the guides using fly or spinning / artificial -- and you're right -- they don't get it and yet smaller IS BETTER when it comes to being sneaky on skinny water fish.... I've got an 18' skiff, but in skinny water, I catch more fish out of the Yak - :!: I think it's in the true spirit of the fly fishing credo -- small rod, light line, light presentation, light lure/fly,... AND the lightest appropriate platform for presenting said feathers and fur.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Postby Cutter » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:24 am

Chunk is right. That is a fine LMB!
The world is your oyster-
So show up with a knife and know how to shuck.

Postby flyinby » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:22 pm

Nice smallie.... good luck on the snook, Timbo!

Postby Timbo » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:40 pm

Snook were had... but entered my comments in the salt-water section. Much fun so far this summer... now time for some New River Smallies

Return to Freshwater Fly Fishing