Moderator Control Panel ]

Valley Creek in Valley Forge, PA

Freshwater Reports from near and far

Valley Creek in Valley Forge, PA

Postby Emerson » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:47 pm

This stream is a loaded with brown trout stream that is unbelievable during a hach and 180 degrees the other way in the direct sun with no bugs coming off!

The day was sunny..high around 78 to 80 and winds to 35 mph.... It was also a day when I had my fly bolo around my rod a ton, around tree limbs...thought I was headed for a
ie222010_2.jpg

Now these guys were truly born in the stream and are pounded and it was S L OOOOOOO W today!
I went through tons of nymphs, streamers, not many dries but lots of tippet!
Here is the joint..
IMGP3506.jpg

finally a caddis hatch happened for about 10 minutes...most fish did not know what was happening...
IMGP3504.jpg

this guy was a bit larger
IMGP3505.jpg

But had a great time and will be leaving Sunday with Jim, Gary and Art for our 33 rd straight year at Weatherby's, Grand Lake Stream Maine!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Re: Valley Creek in Valley Forge, PA

Postby meatstick » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:30 pm

u can tell they are stream-born by the smooth tail fins edges.

Well done, but where is the obligatory "sucker" ?

Enjoy Maine. Very few "piscatorial indecencies" up there. ;)

Postby flyinby » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:35 am

Sounded like a perfect oppurtunity to toss a big fat terrestrial at em' E................

Postby Emerson » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:23 pm

Martin,
Tried a few but it was so windy, even those (the flies) were blowing around. Finally when some caddis were diving in the water and making a disturbance some fish..very few....started to go after the bugs!

Have you tried for muskies down in your area with your buddy's super inventions? If so..any luck? Been trying up here! Emphasis on trying!

Emerson

Postby flyinby » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:12 am

Emerson, I think that zero to hero video got us pretty amped up this year....we plan on doing some floats specifically for them this year,maybe a night trip, They are such creatures of habit, once you locate a good spot, chances are good they will be there again...that is if everyone else puts them back, which I don't think happens too much down here..I've caught one accidentally on a sneaky pete while bass fishing 42inches, 6wt, 8lb. tippet..no wire.Was going to do a smallmouth float, got to the river and it was the color of choclate milk.Decided to float anyway.Hadn't floated ten minutes, made a cast and made three huge exagerrated pops at a grass bed. He exploded on it.Just a fluke, but I was hooked.Whole fly wasn't two inches long, go figure..Have friends that fish for them with conventional gear throwing plugs the size of a sash weight!. He has caught several I know..Played with many patterns, Like that pole dancer..I try to focus on the water that I've seen them in, instead of blind casting.. That Rio outbound short is the way to go heevin' the heavies..my elbow can't take alot of the blind casting....I used to throw a huge bunny strip ,but I think they like something with some noise, and a big push of water.., a rattle, a blade .How about a huge mouse pattern skated?

Postby Emerson » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:41 am

I had one on..for a short time on a big perch colored Baja type fly...it ate because I got it mad...dancing the fly on its snout. It took off for bushes. I have seen them in the same spot 3 times but they get pounded here...people snag them I think. Will try again though.
Sneaky Pete's are the #1 smallmouth popper here and up further north..I have gotten pickerel on them once in awhile..usually they get eaten but getting a good sized musky with no wire must have been a blast!!!

Emerson

Postby flyinby » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:55 pm

most people down here put any musky they catch on the wall regardless of size..

Postby TLT » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:35 pm

I love that stream Em. My mother lives twenty minutes from it.

Return to Freshwater Fly Fishing