Moderator Control Panel ]

First carp of season ...

Freshwater Reports from near and far

First carp of season ...

Postby meatstick » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:07 pm

Went to PaperMill creek to see if the carp were active yet... they were. I musta had 40 good shot and screwed up every one. Fly would get hung up in the reeds even though I was consciously trying to make a high backcast. Got hung up in thorn bushs, got the fly hung up in my shoe laces, on and on ...if it could go wrong it did. I finally switched to the other side of the road ... screwed up some more over there. Moved to the other side of the bridge where there is nothing to hinder your cast. I stood here with the SJW in my fingers, scanning the water for about 20 mins. Ooh, ooh ... I saw a fish move onto a patch of tan sand bottom. He was perfectly silhouetted and he was just sitting there. I casted 30 feet behind him until I had the right amount of line out to just reach him, then I made the cast toward his head. Oh crap, it landed 8 inches in front of his nose. I was sure he was gonna spook, but he just sat there.

The SJW started to settle, when it got to eye-level he flicked his tail once and moved forward... then just froze like a stone. I knew he had it in his mouth. A slow long strip proved me right, and he exploded out of there toward the upper end of the creek. I was usin' 8 lb test fluoro, which is fine ... but I was worried about the # 12 dry fly hook so I babied him and took my time. He tried all sorts of tricks, even tried to go under and thru the bridge. I took the pressure off and he swam back out on my side again. Phew. He showered me with water as I was trying to net him. Got his head and shoulders in the net and that was just enough to get him on the bank. Had a trout-net. I don't know what I was thinking....maybe that I would only catch a 5 lb carp... but I don't think there are any that small in that creek. I took a couple pics. Put the fly behind his gill plate so you can see it. I was wasted. Been sick for days. My head was full of snot and coughing up phlem balls, so I hit the road ... vindicated, finally. One of them git-ur-done or die tryin' days.
Carp on the SJW.jpg

SJW Carp.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: First carp of season ...

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:19 am

beautiful fish. Are there any tricks to carp fishing? I've thrown flies at carp before but they just spook.
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Postby Sharpefly » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:25 am

Great story John. The carp have moved up to the head of the bay up here and if the weather holds out going to give it a shot friday.

Postby Emerson » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:22 am

John,

That is super.....love the beginning....sounds familiar :lol:

Bottom line..grae persistence and great job...plus that long SJW...purrrrrrfect!
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby JHasty » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:28 am

>>> Saw a guy on T.V. catch'em on Bonefish Flys

Postby Siessmack » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:57 am

Got my first and only carp on a small crayfish pattern last october. great fish to hook

Postby DavidM » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:21 am

WTG John! Hard work and preparation paid off for sure. Nice!

David

Postby meatstick » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:37 am

Bradley, you may be casting too close ... a dark slow sinking nymph (# 10 or 12) and try to intercept their path. No big time "retrieving" ... maybe a tiny twitch to get their attention. Then let them suck-it-up. Your spooked fish may have already detected your presence ... they just don't bolt until the fly is presented. Move slow and even try "hiding" behind stuff on shore. My fish above would normally spook if a fly landed that close.

Mr. Hasty, small bead-chain bonefish flies do work on the more aggressive fish. Commonly used on Lake Michigan and Susky River.

Seissmack, small crayfish patterns are excellent if the carp are used to feeding on them.
My brackish water fish ignore nymphs and crayfish because they don't see those kinda baits here. But a marine worm or tiny mud crab pattern ... game on. I've had great luck with crayfish flies on the Potomac.

Postby Sharpefly » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:48 am

We use crayfish up on the West Branch of the Susq. There you cast to them like bones. You can see them mudding in the flats looking for crayfish. Biggest problem up there the smallies will be right by the carp when he roots out a crayfish they jump in after it. Do thye same to our flies. Heading there for a three day trip with Mike Obrien in July.

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:39 pm

thanks for the tips. Maybe I ought to start pursuing them from shore and not my kayak.
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Next

Return to Freshwater Fly Fishing