Moderator Control Panel ]

Freshwater Reports from near and far

Postby Junebug » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:48 pm

Some friends and myself from the Virginia Coastal Fly Anglers in VA Beach had a nice freshwater trout weekend setup for the 16th, 17th, and 18th. Saturday we went to the Virgina Fly fishing Festival in Waynesboro, VA. This is a great trout fishing event with lots of great speakers, and many vendors from far and wide with some great deals on rods, reels, lines, flies, clothes, etc. The main tent with the venders was almost flooded out, with water and mud two inches deep on one end. The seminar tents were unusable due to no power and with most almost blown down from the high winds. The rest of the activities, all outdoors, were a complete wash. I didn't get to see Lefty, or Bob Clouser, or any of the other greats that were there. :( We left the show early and drove a block or two up the street and visited the South River Fly Shop. He had only been open since Wednesday and it looks great. Get this! A young fellow twelve years old and his dad were there. I think he was getting a new fly rod and some waders. This 12 year old boy had a box of flies he had tied that were the envy of anyone! From small # 22 drys and nymphs, to larger flies, they looked perfect. WOW! He will be one of the greats if he keeps that up.

A friend of mine in Waynesboro told me today a woman and her daughter was swept from a bridge near the show site and both were drowned. Very sad.

But I digress........

We had a cabin reserved for Saturday and Sunday nights up near Madison on the Rose River, with fishing on Sunday. We couldn't get near the place! The roads leading to the farm were all awash from the hearv rains. The Robinson River (just downstream of where the Rose River joins it) was running out of it's banks into the pastures and had standing waves over three feet high. We even tried a different backroads route to try to get into our cabin, but all roads in the area were flooded .

The decision was made to come back to Tidewater rather than find local lodging, as the water would obviously not be fishable for days. Our plan for Monday was to fish the Rappahanock for shad. It was eight feet over normal gage levels today as well. :shock: :!:

This was one bad storm. We had four tornadoes in the tidewater area with several deaths, in addition to the heavy losses in NC and further South. I guess we can count our blessings - having a fishing trip flooded out is a lot better than being homeless or worse. My heart goes out to those who lost everything. Say a prayer for them tonight.

Oh, one good word from the Rose River Farm. They are going to give us a makeup date in the fall. Good folks!

Postby mb82 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:00 am

I was at the show on Sunday. Yeah muddy mess is about all I can say. Chatted with my friends who were vendors and they were talking about 6 inches of water in the main tent. They brought the wrong kayaks to the show, needed whitewater boats for the South on Sunday.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby kendalloz » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:29 am

Return to Freshwater Fly Fishing