Moderator Control Panel ]

Phelps Adventure

Freshwater Reports from near and far

Phelps Adventure

Postby FFO » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:43 pm

And the winner of the previously posted Forum Challenge (see Flat Out/Fly Girl section) was... ME. Great posts and lots of great advice given for free...

In truth, for the trip, threw a bunch of chum in the water and couldn't get any guides to really bite. That's just reflective of the time of year...

Anyway, made my way to Lake Phelps on Thursday. Nice drive from Kill Devil Hills. Anyone ever fish that "side of the road" water on the way there? Saw at least one boat going into a pretty big pond/ditch; made me wonder if it would be worth slummin' it for a few panfish.

So, I make it to Pettigrew State park and the ranger there sends me to Pocosin overlook. Suggestion comes after speaking with another gentleman at the park office. Said gentleman indicated that they would not be conducting any construction at that site today. "It's chained off, but feel free to park and make your way back to the water. And, oh yeah, watch out for bears and snakes."

Normally, that is the best place to enter the water for wade fishing. It is a few miles east of Conman's. (Exchanged emails with Mike Noles at Conman's... Very decent guy who knows Phelps well and guides bear/deer hunting, etc. If you don't know Phelps, I highly recommend Mike. It seems he focuses mostly on the hunting thing, but he has guided fishing in the past.) After passing Conman's store (closed), the road is gravel and Mr. Black Bear decided to make an appearance. We looked at each other for a bit, then I decided to try and take a picture with my camera phone. Of course, that sent him/her running for the woods. Continued on gravel, didn't seem to be another human in sight.

Stepped over chain link, started walking on trail to lake. Kept walking. Made several comments to no one. Comments like "I am not surprising you, Mr. Bear." and "I'm a Packer fan, not a Bears fan." and "Got no food." Made it to pier at Pocosin overlook, water was rough, it was windy, and the lake was quite murky. Decided to go back.

Drove back to fish Cypress point; saw two deer on the way back. Had entire place to myself. Still murky but calmer - would also be a good place to get in the water with waders or a yak. Had a few little bites, but nothing worth writing about.

All in all, Phelps seems like a nice big, relatively shallow lake. Should be great in another month or so. Fall would be real nice.

Sorry for the long post; and thanks again for all the ideas.

Re: Phelps Adventure

Postby bhorsley » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:31 pm

Glad you got to go on an adventure. The problem with road side cannal fishing for me is the snakes. Plenty Of them and usually ill tempered
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Re: Phelps Adventure

Postby FFO » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:55 pm

Yeah, it was a nice time. All the cliches about fishing not always being about catching fish still ring true.

As for roadside snakes... Great. Well, at least they'll be plenty of people to flag down if I get bit.

I was actually joking with the ranger before I left for Pocosin that "let's hope I don't meet up with any bears that have snakes on them..." ;)

Return to Freshwater Fly Fishing