Moderator Control Panel ]

Pond and Creek

Freshwater Reports from near and far

Pond and Creek

Postby meatstick » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:27 am

I wish I could be down on the James fishin' for American Shad, but can't.
Too many home-front issues to attack.

I was able to get a couple free hours to fish locally. Went to the trout pond and had good success on a new fly. Ya can't see it well because of the moss. Just two wraps of chenille as a head, thread body, tail of sili-legs. Caught 5 bows rather fast. I love simple flies.

Then went to the creek down the road. 3 casts produced 3 dinks ... a White, a Yeller,
and a Crappie. The last one flipped out of my grasp before I could get a pic. Actually caught 5 species ... one bluegill back at the trout pond. The perch and crappie came on a white Unique Hair (synthetic) bead-chain fly.
EV2.jpg

Longwoods1.jpg

Longwoods2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Pond and Creek

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:44 am

pretty fish. Also, like the idea of the fly. any weight to it?
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Postby Emerson » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:53 am

Good job John.....good job this early in the season!!
Simple but effective!
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby meatstick » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:20 am

Bradley, no weight. With so little material on the hook, the hook-weight alone is enough.
Keep in mind that I'm not fishing where there is any real current. For water that's moving at a fairly good clip, I'd use a bead up front. Gold or black, I don't like chrome beads. Not an advocate of too much flash... but that's just me.

Got the idea by studying a pheasant-tail nymph and thinking: "why does it have to be so complicated" ... it's the general profile that usually matters the most... so why must I use peacock herl, special dubbing, copper wire, pheasant fibers". I say "puffy head, thin body, tail" ... done. You could probably use dark yarn for the head.

"Sparse" is your friend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:30 pm

thanks! Im going to tie up a few when I get back to my vise and give them a shot. Looks like it would work well on my local trout stream.
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Return to Freshwater Fly Fishing