Moderator Control Panel ]

Mossy Creek

Freshwater Reports from near and far

Mossy Creek

Postby Siessmack » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:34 pm

Headin' down south to Mossy Creek on Wednesday as a little bday present to myself.
Does anyone have any tips to share regarding fishing it? I've read there are some aggressive browns in there. I'm going to stop by the Verona VDGIF and get my hall pass to fish it. What size rod? I throw a 5 for trout out west, but those guys have some strong water to use to their advantage. I also have a 3 wt. Any fly suggestions? Thanks for any info!

Re: Mossy Creek

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:51 pm

this time year take the 5wt and a bunch of streamers but dont forget a few small dries just in case. Most of my success during the winter months there has been using clouser sized streamers fished moderate to slow along the bottom of the creek.

best of luck!
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Postby toddkfly » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:15 am

Streamers!!! The romain lettuce will be down this time of year so muddlers, golden retrievers etc... will get looks from the big browns. May see some small midges but the big fish are looking for bigger more efficient meals right now. 3x - 4x too for your tippet. Big boys will bite right through the other stuff. Hit the back side of the riffles and banks. Great time of year to go. Should have the stream almost to yourself.

Postby Siessmack » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:47 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. Streamers is what I was thinking. Do you all recommend light or dark colors? Also what size? 2-3 inches long? bigger? I know a golden retriever is a yellowish/gold color. I've got some concoctions tied up in just about every color that I'd like to try.

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:49 am

the rule that the guy at Mossy Creek Fly Fishing told me for light/dark was to hold the fly up to the sun and check out the shadow. If you can see its silhouette easily then go with it if not switch. personal experience has proven dark colors to take my bigger fish. for size, 2-3in ought to be good.
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Postby toddkfly » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:30 am

clearer water and I lean on the lighter colors but not sure it makes a difference. The big fish are looking to eat the fingerling browns and other baitfish 2-3" should be right on. I may hit it next week while working in Harrisonburg. Hope you have a great day on the water.

Postby Siessmack » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:07 pm

4 hours of fishing and I got skunked. Must have thrown 6 or 7 different streamers in a variety of colors. Also tried nymphing with pheasant tails down to 16 and crayfish patterns. Cool creek, definitely hard to fish!

Postby lwflyrod » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:18 am

Yep, Mossy has those days, and if you never gotten skunked on Mossy well, you never fished it very often. Welcome to the club. They are there, we have found some areas are better or should I say have bigger fish than others. Sometimes it depends on the fishing pressure there too as to wether you have a good day or a skunk.
BCflyfisher knows that creek pretty well, however he and I have diffference in opinions on what streamer colors when. He like darker I like lighter. When we go together he goes dark I go light and after about an hour we compare to see who has had the most activity then formulate our plan from there. Most of the the time I am really stubborn and refuse to change even if he is getting more strikes.
Sorry Seissmack, hadnt been on the board lately, if I had seen your post I would have taken some time to meet you and fish with you. Maybe next time your in the area.
Todd - PM me or give me a shout since you'll be in the area, maybe I can slip out for a bit. let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lee W
"Teach a kid to fish and give the gift of a lifetime of memories."

Postby Siessmack » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:59 am

LW, I've heard its a difficult stream. Way different than the freestone Roaring Fork River that I've been guiding on out in Colorado. There was one other fisherman there before me, and another guy who was walking the banks "checking things out" ahead of me. That probably did not help the fishing.

Return to Freshwater Fly Fishing