Moderator Control Panel ]

Laker Fishing in Lake Michigan

Freshwater Reports from near and far

Laker Fishing in Lake Michigan

Postby AMJohnston » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:20 pm

I was home sick yesterday (it sicks to be sick on Christmas) and to pass the time, was watching an episode of In-Fisherman in which the show host was jigging for lake trout just outside of Milwaukee harbor in March. Appranetly the trout congregate there this time of year to feed on gobies. It looked to me like these fish could be caught on flies using a sinking line. Anyone heard of this? Anyone have a good gobie fly pattern?

Re: Laker Fishing in Lake Michigan

Postby Cutter » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:00 pm

Andy,

I haven't caught lakers on a fly, but we had smallmouth eating gobies that would take a muddler minnow aggresively. Just a fat-headed, skinny bodied, mottled brown minnow that takes short hops on the bottom....
The world is your oyster-
So show up with a knife and know how to shuck.

Postby meatstick » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:05 pm

That should be very do-able, SeƱor Johnston. With a reasonable facsimile of a gobie and maybe a smelt pattern, plus an appropriate sinking line, you just might hit pay-dirt.

That Milwaukee Harbor area can offer amazing fishing. I watched a show once also... Babe Winkleman was fishing with local guide Eric Haataja, and they were just hammering porky Brown Trout between ice flows up next to a ship hull.
Again, vertical jigging... and I thought to myself the exact same thing: "hmm, should be able to do that with a 8-9 wt and T-14 head or similar sinker.

I researched it a little further and discovered like you that the Lakers stage near the mouth of harbor in March.

We don't think of Milwaukee as a trophy fish destination, but it most definitely is.

Here's a vid of Babe's guide Eric and his buds playing with the steelhead and browns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MSztUqoyvI

As Andy well knows, a Laker on fly is a special triumph.

Postby AMJohnston » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:21 pm

Eric Haataja was the guide in the In-Fisherman show too.
I saw that Babe Winkelman episode--it caught my eye because I grew up in the Milwaukee area and never knew that fishery was there.

Postby meatstick » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:20 pm

I have traveled hundreds of miles to get to a special fishing location, only to call home and learn that fishing down the street from my house was red-hot. :roll:

Old story: "when I was about 5 yrs old the parents took me to visit Aunt Jane in Waukegan. When I saw the lake I (of course) wanted to fish. My uncle rigged us up with a couple of cane poles and we drove to some nearby breakwater (?) About 150 people lined the rocks. My father and I started catching fish right away ... shiny minnow-like fish about 5 inches long. We kept tossing them back. An angler next to us finally came over and asked why we were releasing the fish. We told him we were hoping for some bluegills or crappies, etc. He told us that the little shiny fish were "smelt" and that was the species all the people on that jetty were after. Ha !! Smelt are delicious when properly prepared, especially smoke ... but we didn't know it."

Return to Freshwater Fly Fishing