Moderator Control Panel ]

SW Virginia Mountaineering ...

Freshwater Reports from near and far

Re: SW Virginia Mountaineering ...

Postby 9ft4wt » Wed May 20, 2009 2:06 pm

Whaler:

Actually have been by that church. It is a little south and west of where we fish the SOHO down there, but sometimes take that route when going to the fishing hole from Abingdon. Not sure if there is public access along that stretch but have heard that trout do live that far down.

You were almost to the home of the Dip Dog in Chilhowie, a spot not to be missed. Everybody should try at least one dip dog. Locally famous with fans worldwide. The greasy spoon to end all greasy spoons: (From a website):

"Just imagine...for the last fifty years, thousands of folks have been enjoying biting into these incredibly wonderful, almost sinful, Dip Dogs. Mind you, a Dip Dog is not a Corn Dog. First, surround a classic red hotdog with a secret family recipe batter. Then, deep- fry it according to very precise and time-honored family practices. Next, roll it in mustard. Finally, serve it up in a brown paper bag. Now, that's a Dip Dog!"

After you eat a couple of those you gotta hike up Mt. Rogers just to clear your arteries.

9ft4wt

Postby meatstick » Wed May 20, 2009 2:46 pm

9-4, ironic ... we did eat Dip-Dogs at the Dip-Dog. They were
great. On a recommendation from a purdy local girl. She said:
"I could send ya to a bunch of restaurants, but since you are here you'd might wanna go to the Dip-Dog ... mostly because if you find out about it later you may kick yourself ... I was right there and we missed the Dip-Dog" ?!!

Now we are part of the history.

Postby 9ft4wt » Wed May 20, 2009 3:38 pm

Whaler:

The dip dog stand, a classic piece of Americana. I have a friend here in Richmond who is a DD decsiple. He had be bring a few back for him one trip. They don't travel well. :roll:
Did you do the Onion rings? The serving is huge. I have never been able to get through a whole bag.

9ft4wt

Postby meatstick » Wed May 20, 2009 10:14 pm

No onion rings ... maybe next visit.

Postby 9ft4wt » Thu May 21, 2009 9:58 am

Headed that way on Tuesday, may 26. Coffin flies, yellow sallies, sulfurs and big streamers....

9ft4wt

Previous

Return to Freshwater Fly Fishing