Moderator Control Panel ]

Trout recs for Woodstock, NY?

Freshwater Reports from near and far

Trout recs for Woodstock, NY?

Postby wpw33 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:30 am

Heading up for the weekend with some buddies and we are looking at getting out on Esopus Creek...not sure if anyone has fished it but the info I was able to garner through the interweb makes it sound like it fishes well all year, although typically is cloudy to muddy flow. Would love to hear if anyone has made it out there...thanks!

Re: Trout recs for Woodstock, NY?

Postby mb82 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:11 pm

Can't help you but takes lots of pics of Esopus. That was Dad's favorite trout stream growing up.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby flymank » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:36 pm

mb82-the esopus is real dirty and warm coming from the 'portal".I have seen reports of water temps @70 in the morning :evil: above the portal is low but clear and best fished early or late-some sulfers@iso's (late)and some trico's in the mornings.You might want to look at the neversink(another tailwater thats close bye)with the same hatchs+some small olives-hope this helps-flymank out

Postby mb82 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:34 pm

Funny being in the south I think 70 as cool. The James a few weeks ago was 98. Of course it is not a trout stream.
Good to know the stream is not what it was. Still might have to go up at some point and see it.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby toddkfly » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:50 am

Not far from the east branch of the Delaware- that would be my play. Anywhere near Shinhopple is a good starting point. Sulfurs maybe thin by now but always good BWO's throughout the day and tricos in the am.

Postby flymank » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:04 pm

todd- you are correct about the east branch as that is my "home" river.this has been a great year for trico's and there are sulfers@ small bwo around late afternoon and evening.fished it last saturday night above the village of shinhoople and lost a pig that straightened the hook on my #18 sulfer emerger :evil: .the water temp was a very cool 54 degrees.the west branch is 1/2 hr further west that is fishing well right now but the releases are too high for much wading(1300cfs)enjoy-flymank out

Postby toddkfly » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:54 am

Good water to be calling your home!!!!! :mrgreen: When I was at Hartwick I used to fish the east branch every chance I could. My old soccer coach and I used to wander betwen fireman's park and down a bit. Best trout water I have fished on the east! Very technical but VERY rewarding. Something about a 20" wild brown that gets you jacked up. Hear you on the flows, can be a bear especially during dry summers when the salt line creeps up towards Philly forcing them to push more out of the dams. Hope they get it figured out someday!

Postby flymank » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:43 pm

todd-the eb is my "adopted home" as I actually live in n.j.but I have kept my rv there for about a dozen years now.I here ya on the big wild browns@technical fishing.I've fished the whole delaware systen for more than 20 yrs. and the eb is the toughest to catch fish on for sure.Do you ever get up there to fish anymore?If so let me know and maybe we can hook up for some fishing,or at least I can give real time intel on conditions/hatchs ect. ;) tight lines-flymank out

Return to Freshwater Fly Fishing