Moderator Control Panel ]

South Platte report

Freshwater Reports from near and far

South Platte report

Postby toddkfly » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:11 pm

Had a couple of great afternoons on the South Platte, specifically in 11 mile canyon. Truly God's country. Friday was best for me as the crowds were non existant. Managed 3 great fish with one rainbow a tad over 20", another rainbow in the 13" range and then a specimen brown at 20". Water flows were up over 380 cfs's so that was a challenge. Small bwo's were around as well as a few pmd's and some caddis. The brown was fooled by a #16 caddis up against the far bank while the big bow ate a #24 bwo. Saturday was busy in the canyon and water was up a bit. Managed a small brown and then misssed a cutthroat in the back of a riffle. He figured me out so that was the end of that. Overall great get trip and a good way to blow off some stress after our morning meetings. I'll post some pics of the canyon and some of the stretches I fished. New 5 weight I built was a dream to throw. Looking forward to heavier tippet and bigger hook eyes back home.

Re: South Platte report

Postby mb82 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:41 pm

I was wondering how you did. Congrats.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby TLT » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:23 pm

Way to go Todd. Did you see snow in the mountains? I really enjoyed fishing that river some years ago.

Postby meatstick » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:49 pm

Quality fish, TK ... well done.

"Looking forward to heavier tippet and bigger hook eyes back home."

I understand. ;)

Postby toddkfly » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:08 am

Tom, no snow at all. Pikes Peak had a couple of slivers way up near the top but that was it. Heavy rains every afternoon in the valleys were the cause for the increased releases from the dam. Wish I had more time as there was so much beautiful water to hit. Johnny, the first 3 knots I tried to seat with the 7X popped due to my touch or lack there of. Use to pulling on 20lb flouro I guess.

Postby toddkfly » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:05 pm

Here are some photos of 11 mile Canyon-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Postby toddkfly » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:08 pm

Couple more-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Postby meatstick » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:12 am

Pretty water and country.

Is that the newly built 5 wt ?

Postby mb82 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:30 am

Sweet, nice reel. How did the pack do?
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby toddkfly » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:41 am

Yep, that is the new 5 weight. Went away from norm and buit on a St. Croix SCV blank as I get their blanks quite cheap. Very nice action and feel. Single foot recoils, and a couple of cool Pac Bay SIC strippers(PBNSG). Reel seat is a REC NBS-4, nickel silver uplocking, with Amboyna Burl insert. Beautiful seat! Reel was hard to pass up and fished very well. Pack was pretty good except I carry to much stuff so trying to throttle back was a challenge. Probably could have used the shoulder sling instead. Camera went into the back and when fishing, could not access for fish in the water shot. Was very light though Jeff so my back and shoulders thank you!

Next

Return to Freshwater Fly Fishing