Moderator Control Panel ]

A day on the Yellow Breeches

Freshwater Reports from near and far

A day on the Yellow Breeches

Postby Emerson » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:44 pm

Ben and I fished the Yellow Breeches from 9 am until 4 pm...small break for lunch..great Saga Blue Burger and Troeggs Sunshine ( Harrisburg PA Brew)...Did not want to expire due to hunger

This is one of the few streams below 70 we could fish. That is the safe cut off for trout...any higher and the stress of catching them will kill them. This stream has a huge spring emptying into it at 55 degrees. The temp here was in the low 60's.

Right now it is terrestrial time. The #1 bug we used succesfully was the deer hair inch worm.
IMGP2563.jpg

IMGP2567.jpg

Now a day fishing would not be complete with -T---rash...
IMGP2571.jpg

I walked under a bridge and turned around and jumped back..here is why!
IMGP2572.jpg

But all was well..
IMGP2573.jpg

Good fishing on a hot day!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Re: A day on the Yellow Breeches

Postby meatstick » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:23 pm

Nice work. But the doll is scary ... "Chucky's sister" ?

Postby Cutter » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:14 pm

E,
I envy your retirement.

Congrats. Nice warm up for your next adventure.
The world is your oyster-
So show up with a knife and know how to shuck.

Postby wgmiller » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:44 am

Nice work on the Breeches and glad you could find some fishable water. This summer has been rough for trout fishing due to the high temps and I haven't been out much at all. Many of the limestone spring creeks in my area (Donegal, Lititz Run) have all hit close to that magical 70 degree mark which, as you said, is really off limits for trout fishing.

Instead, I've been pursuing the warmwater thing more than anything as I'm finding SM/LM bass to be a formidable target!

Postby toddkfly » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:49 am

Nice! That chucky's bride doll is a bit odd though.

Postby mb82 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:02 pm

toddkfly wrote:Nice! That chucky's bride doll is a bit odd though.

Kinda want to have one hanging from the rail road trestle during the shad run after seeing that.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby BionicSenior » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:07 am

Thanks for the intel Emerson. Now for the important stuff, was the burger and brew from that pub in Boiling Springs that you mentioned to me a while back? Just for future reference, of course. (Notice I did not ask for the spot where you caught the fish!) ;)
:D~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<'(((((><

Postby woolybugger » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:55 pm

My 16 year old daughter played a softball tournament at Messiah College about a month ago. Played prety well and was getting some interest from their softball coach as they have a really good DIII program. I'm thinking, "how many schools have a trout stream flowing through campus, this looks like a great place". She doesn't completely share my priorities.
Jim C
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Postby BionicSenior » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:49 pm

Question Emerson. Do you wet wade or use waders this time of year in that stream with the temps you found? Thanks.
:D~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<'(((((><

Postby Emerson » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:52 am

Bionic,

Waders...definitely...the spring coming in enters at 55 degrees....major cold. Every time we see a person wet wading, we all say...they will last max 1 hour.

Yes...it was the Boiling Spring Inn. Just across the street is a fly shop called Yellow Breeches Outfitters. They will give up all the info you need. We fish from behind there to Allenberry...usually. We went upstream for a change of pace where the doll pic was taken.

This time of year is terrestrials almost only...black ants...size 16 or 20, red ants size 18, beetles size 14, inch worms size 14 and hoppers size 14.

Some days tricos come off.... In mid to late Sept, blue winge olives in size 18 work well...when they are hatching during the day.

Wooly buggers seem to work once in awhile now but better in the colder part of the year.
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Next

Return to Freshwater Fly Fishing