Moderator Control Panel ]

Roanoke 5-06

Freshwater Reports from near and far

Roanoke 5-06

Postby hh65cdr » Wed May 06, 2009 11:00 pm

Just got home from weldon. Had a great 2 days with great friends. Was realy cool to hang out with some of my favorite fishing buds. Thanks Mr. Hasty for taking Jeff and I out on your boat I always learn so much from you and have great laughs. Jeff, Trey and Greg had great time despite the weather. Fish were there but I was unable to bring any in. I hope to get back up there very soon.
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Re: Roanoke 5-06

Postby mb82 » Thu May 07, 2009 7:49 am

Yeah I had fun. Thankyou Mr. Hasty for taking us out. I feel like I could go back and fish there on my own now. Got to lick my wounds first though, 1 broken rod and somehow I broke 2 lines, never broke a line in my life and yesterday I did 2.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby XXXi2 » Thu May 07, 2009 8:24 am

mb82 wrote:Yeah I had fun. Thankyou Mr. Hasty for taking us out. I feel like I could go back and fish there on my own now. Got to lick my wounds first though, 1 broken rod and somehow I broke 2 lines, never broke a line in my life and yesterday I did 2.

Describe the fish, rocks, and/or car doors that caused this. :mrgreen:
Sorry man, in all seriousness, that's no good.
20" is not 20 lbs.

Postby mb82 » Thu May 07, 2009 8:33 am

Rocks and trees. The broken rod is one I have been trying to break for a year now, middle feral looks like it had come a little loose and when I put pressure on the rod from hanging a rock the male end went pop. T-8 broke from too much pressure on it I will fully admit(though the connection held). the 250 grain line should not have broken and will be returned for a replacement at 3 today hung the fly on a tree and the line broke not the 12lb leader, not happy about that one.

So looks like for the next 3 weeks I will be fishing with a 9wt down at HRBT, oh yeah and the reel for the 9wt decided to loose its drag( el-cheapo reel)

When I said I was afraid of breaking my computer yesterday I was not kidding.

All and all it was a good time with good friends. Exactly what fishing should be. It is not about catching( though that is always a plus) it is about spending time with your friends.
Jeff G

Postby XXXi2 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:47 am

mb82 wrote:Rocks and trees. The broken rod is one I have been trying to break for a year now, middle feral looks like it had come a little loose and when I put pressure on the rod from hanging a rock the male end went pop. T-8 broke from too much pressure on it I will fully admit(though the connection held). the 250 grain line should not have broken and will be returned for a replacement at 3 today hung the fly on a tree and the line broke not the 12lb leader, not happy about that one.

So looks like for the next 3 weeks I will be fishing with a 9wt down at HRBT, oh yeah and the reel for the 9wt decided to loose its drag( el-cheapo reel)

When I said I was afraid of breaking my computer yesterday I was not kidding.

All and all it was a good time with good friends. Exactly what fishing should be. It is not about catching( though that is always a plus) it is about spending time with your friends.

Ouch. Sorry to hear that . . . I'm not letting you near my boat for fear that it'll sink. I've never broken a line, nor have I heard of anyone doing it. hmmm.
Hopefully the replacements will come quickly.
20" is not 20 lbs.

Postby 9ft4wt » Thu May 07, 2009 10:58 am

MB82:

Congrats on breaking the rod. What took you so long :lol:

Sorry to hear about the lines. I have done a few in my time -- mostly from cutting them on rocks or with studs or props. Only seems to happen to brand new lines, however, on the first trip out.
:cry:

You need to borrow anything just give a shout. I got a couple of back up 8wts and reels.
9ft4wt

Postby mb82 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:48 pm

9ft thanks for the offer. I should be good, I can always "borrow" one of Dads rods, I just don't like to since he is one of those silly left hand retrieve people ;)
Jeff G

Postby 9ft4wt » Fri May 08, 2009 8:27 am

mb82 wrote:9ft thanks for the offer. I should be good, I can always "borrow" one of Dads rods, I just don't like to since he is one of those silly left hand retrieve people ;)

Whoooo!. That is a relief. Wanted to do the nice thing and offer and but was worried about the results. Not looking for any five pieces at the moment :D

If you run in to a bind the offer stands.

9ft4wt

Postby TreyG » Sat May 09, 2009 12:13 am

Not many fish on the fly Wednesday (at least for the non early risers), but a fun time was had on the trip. Always fun hanging out with Tracy.

Good to meet you Jeff and Mr. Hasty. Mr. Hasty has a fine craft.

Saw this fly caught cow as we were motoring back to the ramp. Didn't get the angler's name as they went to work on getting the big girl back in the water to revive her and we needed to get home. They said she was 22 lbs on the boga.

Postby hh65cdr » Sat May 09, 2009 7:25 am

That guy was catching the stripers left and right.
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Next

Return to Freshwater Fly Fishing