Moderator Control Panel ]

Wild virginia brown

Freshwater Reports from near and far

Re: Wild virginia brown

Postby woody » Mon May 11, 2009 10:54 am

9ft4wt
We also face similar issues in the salt
the stocking of stripers in coastal areas began a raging debate between the rec and commercial fishermen
just ask any crabber what they think of stripers

it just seems that the more we manage our stocks the more trouble we create
it is my humble opinion that we should place more effort on habitat protection in fresh and salt and let the stocks equilibrate
Woody

It is certain that an atom of goodness on the path of faith is never lost.
Rumi

Postby bhorsley » Mon May 11, 2009 4:57 pm

ok guys this is a great discussion but almost a forbidden one (fisheries politics). Let's keep it here on the freshwater side. Thanks and i enjoy this thread.
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby TLT » Mon May 11, 2009 8:26 pm

Dan,
I just got back into town from a week long chaperoning adventure to Pine Creek up in Potter County, PA. I did not have gear, nor would I have had the chance to fish. I did see great hatches and big fish as well as many risers. Before I clicked onto the third page I knew that you were going to say that that gorgeous brown came out of the Conway. It does have that reputation; congratulations. My browns always came from the Hughes, Rose and the lower Moormans when I lived there. Seeing those trout in PA made me miss those days. Emerson, I envy your limestone adventures. I used to belong to a great club on the Conewago near Gettysburgh. I am thinking about making a call....

Postby Emerson » Mon May 11, 2009 9:45 pm

heh Tommy T,
..if you do, give me a call....I will join you!
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby 9ft4wt » Tue May 12, 2009 9:47 am

Thomas: You don't have a Popeel Pocket fisherman :D

Hey a friend of mine belongs to a private club on the Conewego. I have been up there three times with him. Don't know the name of it. They have about 2 miles of stream just as it comes out of the mountains. Up on the mountain, they have a lodge with a fireplace build into the deck overlooking the valley. They also have three ponds. One is stocked with hogs -- ugly fish that push 10 pounds.

Sound like the place you use to belong to?

Funny story about my first time there. I had moved downstream well ahead of the rest of our group to explore and got to a bridge. Fishing under the bridge, I caught a 16-inch tiger trout (a stocker but the first and only tiger I have ever caught.)

Well, the fish were really stacked up under the bridge. So I walked back up the road to get the rest of the gang to let them fish under it. We piled into the Jeep and headed back down.

When we pulled in there were two older guys getting geared up on the back of big black SUV and there was another big black SUV parked right next to them.

I told my buddy, looks like these guys have claimed this hole we can come back later.

He said they won't be ready to fish for 20 minutesand we are ready to go. let's hit it.

I wasn't fishing anyway but felt guilty about squeezing the old guys out of the hole. When one of them wandered over to see what we were doing,I started talking with him. Nice guy. I said we were just fooling around trying to pull some trout out from under the bridge and taking turns throwing different stuff. I said there were some big fish back in there and if he wanted to get in line with my two buddies he was welcome to take some shots.

He said he had a great little hole downstream that he always fished and was going there.

A few minutes later, I looked up on the bridge and there was this young guy about 6'2" walking back and forth across the bridge. He had an ear bud on and when he turned I could see a gun butt under his fleece vest.

Looking downstream, I could see two more of these guys standing on rocks in front of and behind the old guy.

I told my friend: Those old guys are either with the mob or are somebodies in the U.S. government cause it looks like they have Secret Service.

So, the other guy in our group goes running up on the bridge and asks the guy if he is Secret Service. He says yes.

Turns out the nice old guy I had been talking to and we kicked out of the hole was Assistant Secretary of Defense Gordon England.

Seems he is an avid fly fisherman and some friends who guide out of Harrisonburg, guide him all the time. They say he is a great guy and a big sponsor of Project Healing Waters.

9ft4wt

Postby TLT » Thu May 14, 2009 11:20 am

Dan,
That sounds close to the waters that I was a member of. They did ahve a cabin with three pond in the mountains. One had big brookies, the other had browns and the third had hybrid stripers.

Emerson, I am going to cal to see what the fee is these days. I will let ou know.

TT

Postby 9ft4wt » Wed May 20, 2009 11:15 am

TLT:

Gotta be the same place. Watch out for the feds :D

9ft4wt

Previous

Return to Freshwater Fly Fishing