Moderator Control Panel ]

Ocracoke report 4/23/09

Saltwater Reports from everywhere else

Ocracoke report 4/23/09

Postby woody » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:51 am

I was in Ocracoke for the last three days. The first day (Tuesday) we did not get there until late and the wind was already up to about 25 out of the SW. Wednesday it blew hard all day after a long night of wind and rain (25-35 kts SSW) so I decided to work. Thursday the winds shifted to the NW and began to fall out. Putting the boat in (by myself ) on the west side of the island was a challenge but got out and fished for 9 hours. I fished Portsmouth Island channel- no love. Water temps were 60 degrees. Ran over to Shell Castle but Shell Castle was blown apart and is not nearly as defined as before. Water temps in the low 60's with a strong outgoing tide. Ran back up into Core Sound and the temps started to rise- 63 degrees and I fished some nice holes with shell bottom. I was geeting light takes but could not entice a hook-up. Went to the Artesian and drifted that for 2 hours and had some very light takes on the undercut marsh side but just nothing strong. Fished the shoals at the inlet but there were bigggggg waves and my 16 foot Hewes is a very small speck in the soup. Ran over to Teaches hole and fished the rock pile temps made it up to 64 dgrees. I had one really nice take but could not deliver to the boat. I then fished the inside channel an the west side and there was nothing there.

Conclusion
Ocracoke has really changed from last year
Fishing is always really difficult after a big cold front moves through and after a very strong blow
Water temps need to warm up
Nine hours with no fish in Ocracoke- absolutely fun!
Got a chance to practice my cast :D
Woody

It is certain that an atom of goodness on the path of faith is never lost.
Rumi

Re: Ocracoke report 4/23/09

Postby kendalloz » Tue May 05, 2009 6:33 pm

Woody...we recently challenged some breakers in my little skiff and made it but not sure if it was the right thing to do. Took a long ride home to avoid the repeat. So...glad you got...be careful....thanks for the report!

Re: Ocracoke report 4/23/09

Postby Siessmack » Sun May 10, 2009 11:17 pm

Woody, I'm so jealous you were down there, I go to Croke 2 weeks every summer and its one of my favorite places in the world to fish and just hang out. You just named almost all of my lucky holes! Luckily you missed a few of them, haha. Were you strictly fly fishing or also throwing artificials and bait on a spinning rod? I'm surprised you didnt hook up at the Artesian well (the name of that teeny island is Casey's Island by the way) or shell castle. I'm sure you know of it but Tradewinds tackle shop website(http://www.fishtradewinds.com) usually has some pretty up to date reports and good info on it. Next time you head down, and especially if the weather is bad in Ocracoke channel, try fishing Lehigh Island. I've caught some really nice flounder and trout on fly and spin by sitting on the ledge off the west side of the island and casting out into the channel. There's also usually reports of monster drum coming out of there in the fall. Fishing around the two stacks is really eery knowing that a big sunken boat is right below you. Teach's hole is hit and miss for me but reds sit up in the creek mouths above it. I've also hooked up with some big blues and spanish on spoons off of the west side of Vera Cruz shoals. Good luck and leave some fish in those spots for me!

Return to Saltwater Near and Far