Moderator Control Panel ]

Long Island Bahamas

Saltwater Reports from everywhere else

Long Island Bahamas

Postby jeffnc » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:08 pm

Has anyone here been to LI, Bahamas recently? ...doing a diy trip in march. have heard about some interesting stuff, including tarpon in canals, old salt ponds with fish, and a rumor of red drum remaining from a failed texas venture a decade or more ago. my first visit to this island, so any suggestions are much appreciated.

jeff

Re: Long Island Bahamas

Postby kendalloz » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:07 am

I have been there...but not recently. It is a "long" island ;) so it depends on where you are as to what is available. Most all the flats fishing is one the west side. There are bonefish all along the west side. My wife and I saw fish off and on as we rode bikes along the main road south of Stella Maris. There are tarpon in the creeks at the north end of the island. The lagoon at the north end (by the Columbus monument) must have some fish in it but I did not fish there. I did not fish the area west of deadman's cay but that is the largest flat on the island. We did drive by the area. It is a really beautiful island...nicer looking than Andros. Some of the caves are pretty cool too. Good luck.

Re: Long Island Bahamas

Postby bhorsley » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:15 pm

check with the Bahamian government as they have some funky new regulations about DIY --mainly fishing license. Not sure if you would every be checked there but --the finest are totally absurd
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Return to Saltwater Near and Far