Moderator Control Panel ]

Headed to Alaska

Saltwater Reports from everywhere else

Headed to Alaska

Postby mdfish » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:17 am

I have no experience with air travel to fish.

I have booked a flight to Alaska in late June. I am staying with some of my wife's family near Anchorage. I will have access to a bush plane and a pilot house type boat. I am looking for any tips on Kenai area fishing. What to pack and what to rent? What type of gear is easy to get through an airport? How to ship or pack any fish to bring back? Any local fly fishing guides?

The family I am staying with does some salt water fishing but no trout or char fishing and little fresh water salmon fishing. I think I will pay for a guide on a drift boat for a day or two. Hopefully the rest of the time I can fish with my hosts or drive and walk into some other places. It seems like renting fly fishing gear would work as packing large rods is tough.

Thanks for the reply. :D

Re: Headed to Alaska

Postby bhorsley » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:05 am

know nothing about Alaska but do have a ton of experience fly with gear. Most airlines fly domestically will let you carry on 4 pc rods and reels
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby Keysjake » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:28 am

The little town of Cooper Landing is a 2 1/2 hour drive from Anchorage down the prettiest highway in the US. This town is located at the lower end of Kenai Lake where the head of the Kenai River begins. Besides having the most beautiful scenery in all of Alaska, The Kenai produces some really good fly fishing for Rainbow trout, Dolly Varden, and all five Salmon Species. "Alaska Troutfitters" is a small lodge, fly shop, and guide service, which is located in Cooper Landing, (http://www.aktroutfitters.com), the owners are: Dusty Byrd Coulliette and her husband Billy Coulliette, I have been fly fishing for Trout with this company since before Billy and Dusty were born. In my opinion fly fishing with Troutfitters is like fly fishing with Brian and Sarah here, the BEST. There are lots of Creeks and Small rivers in the area where you can fish on your own by walking and wading, troutfitters will give you information along with rent you tackle (supplied when you use them as your guide), they also have waders for rent.

The Towns of Whittier and Seward are both within a 2 1/2 hour drive from Anchorage, both offer good saltwater fishing with hundreds of charter boats. If you would line specific information regarding some better boat and crews, e-mail or call me, I will be happy to share information from my more than 40 years spent each year visiting Alaska for at least a month per year. I usually send 100 pounds of Halibut and Salmon home each year, FedEx will ship it to arrive the day that you get home, they keep it in a freezer while waiting for flights. No Matter what, you are heading to the most beautiful location that I have ever seen. Enjoy your vacation.

Jake
Captain Jake Jordan

Postby mdfish » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:46 pm

Thanks for the info, I have bookmarked the site. I will be in contact with you and likely them. I get the best info from this site and Brain and Sarah are great. I don't want to check any bags and my gear is not top shelf so renting from a reputable guide may be the way to go.

I am interested in walk in areas as my budget is very limited and if I did not have my wife's family to stay with I could not afford to go. I think I can swing one full day and maybe a half day as well but the rest of the time I will be hiking in or fishing with my hosts. I could use any info on walk in fishing holes and how to ship back fish with fedex. ;)

How far ahead would I need to reserve a date and would they likely pair me with someone else if I am fishing solo? I have all kinds of questions.

Postby Keysjake » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:59 pm

The good part about AK Troutfitters is that you can book a day and they will add you to a drift boat with a guide fro about $200 per day plus tip. There are several great walk in rivers and streams in the area which are loaded with Rainbows and Dolly Varden , Troutfitters will be happy to tell you where the fishing is hot and what flies are working well. There are places all over Alaska which will process your fish and blast freeze them after they are vacuum sealed, then they are packaged in a waxed cardboard box and fedex will hold them in a giant blast freezer and ship them to you on the day which you request.
Captain Jake Jordan

Postby mdfish » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:24 am

Left a phone message at troutfitters but no reply. They probably don't start taking reservations until spring. I am very excited about this trip. When it gets closer I will need some advise about what to pack and what to rent.

Return to Saltwater Near and Far