Moderator Control Panel ]

Keys Report

Saltwater Reports from everywhere else

Keys Report

Postby KnotCase » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:52 am

First day on the water yesterday. With good tides and a stiff breeze, we decided to look for permit down below Marathon. Ran into Jake at the boat ramp - he was getting ready to put his boat back on the trailer for the trip back to NC.

For the first couple of hours we had no light. We saw a few permit, but only as they bounced off the boat. :evil: The high cirrus cleared out and gave us some perfect visability, but we saw no more. So we headed over to the ocean side to look for tarpon.

We started seeing poons as soon as we got positioned. Apparently, casting a fly rod is not like riding a bike. For the first few shots, I handled the fly rod as if I had never had one in my hands before. Granted, it was blowing a steady 20 with higher gusts. I blew several shots badly over the first hour. When I finally got my act in gear, the fish stopped. After a couple of slow hours, in absolutely perfect visability, we started seeing fish again. We spotted a nice school coming from upwind, and John got me in position. This time, my casts were on. I say casts, because the first couple were on target but the several fish that saw the fly ignored it. Third cast was again on target, and I showed the fly to two fish at the tail end of the school. They too ignored it, but A third fish, which was paler than the others, started tracking the fly. I don't know how, but I couldn't see this fish. With the fish a foot from the fly, I PICKED UP THE FLY. Ever feel stupid? :cry:

So no happy ending for day 1.

It's blowing hard again today - I think we are going to work the ocean off Long Key. Hopefully I have knocked the rust off.
"You may attend a party where strange customs prevail."
- Fortune Cookie

Re: Keys Report

Postby Cutter » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:42 am

I've got faith.
The world is your oyster-
So show up with a knife and know how to shuck.

Postby Emerson » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:25 pm

Wind wind..what a pain. :o Best of luck....we have confidence the doom of gloom will be replaced by the suck machine working in sucking the good mojo back! :mrgreen: :D :D
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby KnotCase » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:08 pm

More 20 kt ENE wind today. But we did get some good shots this morning and I bagged an 85 pounder. Fish quit moving around noon unfortunately.

BTW, the new NRX 12 weight is nice, and mates well with the Mako 9700.
- Fortune Cookie

Postby bhorsley » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:23 pm

i do not know
Baja has not been the same since a certain person visited this spring and he also visited the keys this spring. There is still absolutely no bait in the sea of Cortez--zip nada
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby Emerson » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:15 pm

B, ha ha...it only counts when you are there...

Hugh, I cast the NRX this spring..mighty fine machine! Light weight and powerful!
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby KnotCase » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:49 pm

Day 3...
Before first light, I could hear that the wind had picked up over night. She was howling, almost 25 kts. The sun came up, and then disappeared behind clouds for the rest of the day. Radar showed a big band of rain showers just south of the Keys. We launched at the Lorelei, and headed out to Long Key. We found an area where we could anchor up without taking too many waves over the bow, and settled in. As the tide dropped, we moved. We saw only a few fish, just enough to confirm that we were in the right spots, and all sightings within 15 feet of the boat. Around noon, the light rain started. Around 2:30, I got my only shot of the day - a small school that I spotted far enough out to actually make a cast. By 3, it became obvious that the heavy showers were closing in and we had to throw in the towel. We got soaked on the way in.
- Fortune Cookie

Postby bhorsley » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:53 pm

that is called emersoned
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby KnotCase » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:13 am

Going to try again today, but it looks like there won't be any visibility once again.
- Fortune Cookie

Postby KnotCase » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:37 am

Thursday...it continued to blow 20 kts most of the day. Late in the day it diminished to around 18. There was no visibility, and we got plenty of rain. And I saw 2 tarpon the whole day. No shots.

Yesterday, the wind laid down, to a nice SSW 12 to 15. But the weather got worse - more frequent showers, many with heavy rain. At least we had some blacker clouds to give us some visibility on the flats - for a few minutes now and then. We decided to run north to Key Largo, and when we anchored up on the track it was immediately obvious we made the right call - a nice little school swam through. We still could not see them far enough away to give me quality shots, but at least I felt like I was fishing. We were seeing good movememt, but we could also see the rain squall moving up from the south. We were treated to about 90 minutes of steady rain, 20 minutes of which was a real frog strangler. Oh, and lightning too. So we sat in the bottom of the boat and shivered. In June. in the end, I cast at a few fish very close to the boat and had no success.

Tied to a whipping post I am. I think we are heading back out today for more of the same - maybe a little more wind. I asked John to bring a stout stick so he can administer beatings throughout the day. At least that will be more fun.
- Fortune Cookie

Next

Return to Saltwater Near and Far