Tarpon on Fly Report May 4 & 5, 2009

Saltwater Reports from everywhere else

Tarpon on Fly Report May 4 & 5, 2009

Postby Keysjake » Wed May 06, 2009 10:49 pm

Tarpon Fly Fishing Report
May 4, & 5, 2009

Greetings from Tarpon World:

May 4, 2009:
Tonight my long time friend/client Michael Thompson and his friend Loren Barr, both from the bay area of California, fished their second night of three scheduled fly fishing for Tarpon charters. The wind has dropped down to 15 knots from the southeast which made the night fishing very pleasant as we could hear the Tarpon feeding. Loren was hot tonight, he jumped 4 big female Tarpon and released two of them both fish were over 100 pounds, (Remember that Loren had never seen a Tarpon before this trip). Michael who wanted his friend to do most of the fishing, also jumped two nice silver king but both came off before we could get the release.

May 5, 2009:
We decided to go out at noon today as the wind had dropped down to 10 knots and the sky was blue with lots of sunshine. The water temperature is now back up to 80 degrees so there should be school fish migrating on the ocean side flats. Michael was the angler today as we fished along an ocean side flat neat Big Pine Key. During the 4 hours that we fished we saw about 30 POONS and had half a dozen shots. One of the singles, a female of near 120 pounds, swam past the fly, turned around in a full circle and stuck her head out of the water as she engulfed the black and purple bait fish pattern. Michael set the hook, she leaped toward the skiff and we all saw the fly fall from her mouth as she splashed us and then swam away.

At 4:30 we put the skiff on the trailer and went home for a nap, and then we headed back out at 10:30 PM to try again for some night tarpon on the fly. Tonight Loren only got one bite, he fought the 90 pound male Tarpon to boat side where I released that awesome POON. Michael was red hot tonight, he jumped six Tarpon of which he landed two, the first was 130 pounds and the other one was close to 100 pounds. As usual it was a pleasure fishing with my friend Michael Thompson and his friend Loren, I am sure that both of these anglers will be back next season and they will probably be fishing with me at Casa Vieja Lodge in early 2010. Tomorrow I will begin three days/nights of fly fishing with Nikki and Steve Wells from Toronto Canada, stay tuned for more fishing reports. Call for available dates! Oh, and by the way, I love my job!
Regards:
Jake

Jake Jordan
Jake Jordan's Fishing Adventures
PO Box 500937
Marathon FL 33050
305-872-6060
http://www.jakejordan.com
keysjake@aol.com
Captain Jake Jordan

Re: Tarpon on Fly Report May 4 & 5, 2009

Postby bhorsley » Thu May 07, 2009 8:31 am

hey guys if any of you can slip away --do it
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby BlueHeron » Thu May 07, 2009 12:36 pm

Sweet report Jake. thanks
Brian - I hear ya. I think about it. Unfortunately can't do it now. I enjoyed meeting and learning form Jake at Casa Vieja. With his guidance I think even a tyro like me might have shot at a poon. Still working on my cast. long way to go yet.
Dave
the bus came by and I got on
that's when it all began

Postby toddkfly » Thu May 07, 2009 9:00 pm

Glad the wind let up for you Capt. Jake. Look forward to receiving my education in a few weeks.

Postby MalcolmRobertson » Fri May 15, 2009 10:28 am

Awesome Jake! I heard preseason was off the charts this year. Sounds like the fish got a little wormy during the last full moon, but things are picking back up. Looking forward to getting down there.

Postby KnotCase » Sat May 16, 2009 9:15 am

bhorsley wrote:hey guys if any of you can slip away --do it

I'll second that - IMO there is NOTHING as exciting as a tarpon bite.
"You may attend a party where strange customs prevail."
- Fortune Cookie

Return to Saltwater Near and Far