Moderator Control Panel ]

I've come to tell my story (and vent a little)....

Saltwater Reports from everywhere else

I've come to tell my story (and vent a little)....

Postby JoeB » Tue May 05, 2009 5:59 pm

I spent this past weekend fishing in Islamorada with Capt Randy Stallings and my brother targeting the Silver King....and I left being his humble Court Jester.

We started out--b/c the tides were not ideal to get on the flats looking for fish--drifting crabs beneath a cork in the channels for big fish. I had a hook-up on the 2d drift tof the morning....the most electrifying 5 seconds of my life, watching a 80+ lb fish coming completely out of the water three times in 5 seconds. Of course, the hook never found a home inside that bucket mouth, so we were 0-for-1. No worries though...I'm cocky and knew we had 7.5hrs left in our day, the majority of which would be spent on the casting platform with a flyrod in hand. "I'm money" I thought....

We pull lout onto a beautiful ocean-side flat. Gin clear 3-4' of water with a 10-15mph onshore breeze. I'm fishing with the guide's Loomis Crosscurrent 1 piece 12#--damn that's a big rod to cast--but again..."I've got this" I was saying. No worries. I'm good like that. Then comes the first cast at a pod of fish heading straight for us. Lead the fish....put it on a plate in front of them...let them eat...listen to what the guide is telling you....

Enough of the prose. I got worked. Casting was a PITA, as I spent the last month casting my 10#, hoping that would be enough practice...yeah, not so much. We literally had shots at 30 tarpon. 30! NADDA. My brother was casting a crab and still came up empty.

I'm telling this story for three reasons:

1. Capt Randy is a top-shelf guide and even better to hang out with
2. I'm buying an 11 or 12# to practice with year round
3. I'll be making it a point to target tarpon at least once a year for the rest of my natural life. An addict was born this weekend end, and I'm sure there is no cure.

That is all....carry on. :lol:
Have kayak...will travel.

Re: I've come to tell my story (and vent a little)....

Postby kendalloz » Tue May 05, 2009 6:30 pm

Hard Lesson...you'll soon be over the pain and enjoying the "almost" in your memory. They are a super fish and when you get one all the almosts will be meaningless.

Postby JoeB » Fri May 08, 2009 10:11 am

I hear what you're saying...I think I'm getting to the point now where the positives of the trip are steadily out-weighing the negatives of not getting my first 'poon on fly.

BTW, I'm heading back there on 22 june for another shot!! WOOHOO!! :o :P :o

CaptDino

Postby CaptDino » Fri May 08, 2009 1:48 pm

Good luck on your next trip. Don't feel bad I still haven't landed 1. Not that i fish for them that often. There is a big difference between casting a 10wt to a 12wt. Alot of guide's are using a 10wt now, they say the line land's softer

Postby bhorsley » Sun May 10, 2009 12:57 pm

Joe
i fished a tarpon Tourney in 2007. I literally had shots at 3000 to 4000 tarpon. I fished with Capt. Chris Suplee one day and missed a fish and caught one --got lucky it was big fish for the tournament. The next day is fished with Mr. Tarpon Rob Fordyce and we had great shots with well placed flies at over 1500 tarpon---my partner had one bite and caught him. Ocean side tarpon are very tough even with well placed casts. Next time i was down there i would try and figure out how to fish Capt. Jake Jordan one or two nights.
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby JoeB » Wed May 13, 2009 1:03 pm

bhorsley wrote:Joe
i fished a tarpon Tourney in 2007. I literally had shots at 3000 to 4000 tarpon. I fished with Capt. Chris Suplee one day and missed a fish and caught one --got lucky it was big fish for the tournament. The next day is fished with Mr. Tarpon Rob Fordyce and we had great shots with well placed flies at over 1500 tarpon---my partner had one bite and caught him. Ocean side tarpon are very tough even with well placed casts. Next time i was down there i would try and figure out how to fish Capt. Jake Jordan one or two nights.

Umm...Hmm...not doing much for my confidence now, Boss. :oops: :lol: :roll: :o

Postby kendalloz » Wed May 13, 2009 6:22 pm

Joe, Don't fret! My first real tarpon trip was to Costa Rica and the lodge I was at had flat bottom aluminum boats and the inlet was rough as you-know-what and we could not get to gobs of fish we could see rolling outside the inlet. The few tarpon in the holes inside the river were so pressured they would not eat anything including live bait. So zippo. But some other fish including de-lish red snapper saved the trip.

So, lost the skunk a few lears later on baby tarpon in Mexico. If you REALLY want one consider a place where the fish are smaller and get less pressure. Both bones and tarpon in Florida can be very educated. A school of small tarpon in Mexico or Belize may fight for your fly!

Some people get real lucky and get one right off but most have to do their time. You have to be positive thinking you are putting in our hours increasing the odds and it will happen. I went to Costa Rica where "everyone" gets a sailfish on a fly and had one bite in 5 days. Not hooked. So, it happens to us all. Go get 'em!

Postby hh65cdr » Wed May 13, 2009 6:38 pm

Kendall said it best! Stay positive. Took me 3 years to get my first albie. But I am totally behind your adiction Joe once you get one there is no turning back till you hook what you want. I know you will get one. I like your confidence in your self. Good luck. Tracy
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Postby JoeB » Thu May 14, 2009 9:48 am

Between Albies and Tarpon I'm done...two of my favorite fish!!!

Postby KnotCase » Sat May 16, 2009 9:44 am

The tarpon learning curve is steep. My first trip was in '99 - jumped 1 fish in 3 days. I have fished for tarpon at least 5 days every June since then, except for 2007 when I took a mental health break (2006 damn near broke my spirit). I've been hosed by bad wind, bad visibility, fish with lockjaw, tropical storms, bad casting, etc. Took me 6 or 7 years to figure out the best rod for the job - in my case a Loomis Crosscurrent 11, with a 10 as backup.

But the payoff -- OH MY!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"You may attend a party where strange customs prevail."
- Fortune Cookie

Next

Return to Saltwater Near and Far