Moderator Control Panel ]

For folks who buy external drives to store video and pics...

Show your stuff.

Re: For folks who buy external drives to store video and pic

Postby KnotCase » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:13 am

I've been thinking and worrying about backup solutions. Does anyone have experience with on-line backup in the over 500 gb range?
"You may attend a party where strange customs prevail."
- Fortune Cookie

Postby bhorsley » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:46 pm

i have 3 1 and 2 T externals most of them are WD and i have a few G drives from 500g to 2T I have had one very old 2T Lacie crap one me. The WD are so cheap i have back ups for my back ups. I now get either 500g or 1 T and start a new one on January 1 for the year. I have another that is just for bird photo and another just videos clips -- etc. From my yearly usage 500 g seems right. With the closing of the magazines we wrote for i see less and less value for saving anything -except for person satisfaction

Don Thimsen is the one to ask---
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby kendalloz » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:48 pm

I do like Brian kinda....I have two separate 2T drives and I try to keep everything on both. Seems the odds of them both failing at once is extreme. However, It adds to the security if you keep the 2 drives in separate places...Hugh could keep one in his office.

But the video files I have are getting huge so I may go with the Brian concept...2 drives new each year and some general category folders like family, birds, Harkers, and so on. The major photo/video places like B and H and Adorama have killer sales on memory almost every month.

I have not tried any on-line backup though my daughter uses an apple app for her iphone so everything she has is in a apple cloud someplace. Her whole world is on her phone (not a computer or camera).

Postby kendalloz » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:06 pm

Since this is the brand that came in most reliable I may try one of these....and it is 7200rpm (most are 5200). The faster drives makes a nice difference in video files...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891239-REG/Hitachi_0s03559_1TB_2_5_External_Drive.html

Postby DThimsen » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:49 pm

I have never tried online backups on anything as big as video files or large photo libraries would require. So, no opinion on that one.

I agree with Brian that you need backups of backups. Personally, I use NAS boxes at home and work for backups, and think they are great, but the cost for a good NAS-based backup system is going to run from approx. $600 to thousands. Because of the expense and complication of NAS, I still recommend that most people just buy a few USB 3.0 or eSata external drives at regular 6-12 month intervals, and learn how to setup an automatic backup job to dump data to the external drive at regular intervals. I don't use "backup" software, but would schedule a windows "robocopy" command to sync selected directories from my computer to the external drive. I guess a Mac would use time-machine. Swap the external drives occasionally, and keep one in the car or at work... This gives you three copies of your data - one on the local HD, one on the attached external drive, and one on the offsite external drive.

If you want, I'll be glad to get into more detail about NAS-based backups.
He who refuses to do arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense... John McCarthy

Postby kendalloz » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:07 pm

Thanks DT. I always kinda thought the on-line backups were intended for "regular" users and not folks who gather a lot of space on video cams and shooting raw on DSLRs. Time to buy more drives! Thanks!

Return to Photography