Moderator Control Panel ]

Camera Suggestions

Show your stuff.

Camera Suggestions

Postby ScottG » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:00 pm

My 12 year old thinks she wants to start getting serious about photography. Normally I would pay little attention to 12 year olds asking for larger investments but she is more mature than most. That said, I have no idea where to start. Is there something that falls on the lower end of the scale that would enable her to expand and improve upon if she does decide to stick with it? Looking at something in the $300 range if that is even a correct entry price to begin with.

Suggestions appreciated.

Re: Camera Suggestions

Postby bhorsley » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:25 pm

a point and shoot i think would be the best best --there are some awesome point and shoots. The Pentax weather proof point and shoot SUCKS --

here is a link think the search is in your price range or you can search with your parameters
--

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?at ... 38&mxp=300
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Re: Camera Suggestions

Postby KnotCase » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:53 pm

Worth checking out what this guy has to say.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm
Keep in mind that the camera and lens are only part of the cost. Memory cards and other accessories...

If you stick with point and shoot, and free editing software like picassa, you should be able to stay close to $300 and still get good quality. But it's a lot like fly fishing. If she really gets into it, she'll soon want a good DSLR, multiple lenses, tripod, fancy software, nice computer with external storage, etc. All so she can take awesome photos of your fly rods, reels, flies, boat(s), and trophy catches. :lol:
"You may attend a party where strange customs prevail."
- Fortune Cookie

Return to Photography