Moderator Control Panel ]

Give me a critque

Show your stuff.

Give me a critque

Postby Riprock » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:21 am

Didn't see a fish last weekend but got a few pix. Shooting with a Rebel T4i that is way different from my old Photomic. Using a polarizing filter on P program with an 18-35 zoom and older 80-200 zoom. All you pros give me a critique please. I thought about cropping the horses vertically instead of horizontally. The turtle was big enough to ride but I couldn't get close enough. I don't think I attached the photos correctly so tell me how. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Give me a critque

Postby bhorsley » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:39 pm

i shoot aperture and ISO of 400 the vast majority of the time. I like to have the option to set my depth of field by adjusting my f.stops. I almost never use a polarizing filter. Cropping is personal taste as is composure. Love the shot from the lighthouse. I am unfamiliar with Cannons but they are great cameras. AS you play around look into exposure compensation --either minus or plus. I shoot mine a lot on -.3 --adds lots of color back
Flash cards are cheap so shoot a lot
get away from the program mode

looks like a nice leatherback turtle

when loading pics on this forum the first pick you upload will be at the bottom---
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby kendalloz » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:48 pm

Great pics! The shot of the horses is great needs to be in a magazine!

As the boss says a tad under exposure is often ok. Also best not to shoot in program learn to control movement/blur and freeze motion with shutter speed and depth of field by f stop. Do some searches on line lots of good resources...

Will try to post some references later...

Nice work!

Postby kendalloz » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:12 pm

I am not a big Ken Rockwell fan but nevertheless there is some good info here....lots to look at...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm

Postby KnotCase » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:21 pm

I am probably guilty of over-cropping, but when you are shooting from a boat you can't really frame things the way you can on land. So I think experimenting with different crops is a good thing. And maybe stimulates different ideas for the next time you shoot.

Love the wide shot of the island, with the boats at the bottom.

I agree with what was said above about getting out of the program mode. I do use a polarizer some, when the sun is high in the sky, but there doesn't seem to be any substitute for shooting early in the morning or late in the afternoon.

A huge challenge on the water is the amount of contrast. In the turtle shot, for example, the sensor sees so much bright light it ends up making the turtle's head totally black in order to properly expose the other 95% of what is in the frame. Of course, the camera doesn't know that the turtle is what you are interested in. To get detail out of the turtle head, you'd have to use +1 or so exposure compensation. Everything else might end up looking really over-exposed on your LCD, but a combination of processing and cropping on the computer might give you a really nice result.

Shoot tons of frames and try different things. He'll, the delete key on your computer is free. I end up deleting at least 25-30% of what I shoot, and should probably delete lots more!
"You may attend a party where strange customs prevail."
- Fortune Cookie

Postby Riprock » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:07 am

Thanks guys, this gives me a good idea what I should be working on. Translating my old film habits into new digital methods seems to be taking awhile.

Return to Photography