Moderator Control Panel ]

Northern Lapwing

Show your stuff.

Northern Lapwing

Postby KnotCase » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:11 am

For the last 2 weeks, the NC birding community has been preoccupied by a Northern Lapwing that has settled on a farm just west of Roxboro. This is a Eurasian plover that occassionally shows up in the US after big storms, like Sandy. Apparently, there are now a couple in Georgia, 3 in New Jersey (poor devils), and this one near Roxboro. Folks are driving hours just to get a look at this guy. And the viewing conditions are tough - the bird typically stays in an area that is at least 3 or 4 hundred yards from the nearest public viewing area.

Yesterday afternoon I decided to drive out to have a look. I brought the heavy artillery - 600 mm with the 2X teleconverter. And I found the bird, just where it was supposed to be. At 1200 mm, he still fit almost inside of one single focus point!! :o Needless to say, the quality of the photography is marginal. But here's the bird, after extreme magnification and extreme cropping, in all its grainy glory:
_HWD6405-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"You may attend a party where strange customs prevail."
- Fortune Cookie

Re: Northern Lapwing

Postby Cutter » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:35 pm

That's not even the same zip code. Working hard for it. :D
The world is your oyster-
So show up with a knife and know how to shuck.

Postby GaryF » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:39 pm

WTG Hugh. Next thing you know, you'll be keeping a life list! What a bird! Congrats!
If people concentrated on really important things in life, thereā€™d be a shortage of fishing poles. ~ Doug Larson

Postby Emerson » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:13 am

Whoa......Dont you love it when a plan comes together!!! Great job! I even correctly relayed the info to our resident 'birdologist'. He was very impressed and that was before the capture.....by camera of course! :o
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby meatstick » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:00 pm

Impressive !!

Postby AMJohnston » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:18 am

Next on your list--Big Foot and the Loch Ness Monster.

Return to Photography