Moderator Control Panel ]

digital SLR Question

Show your stuff.

digital SLR Question

Postby RWB » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:27 pm

My daughter is interested in getting a Digital DLR Camera, She is 15 years old and has been using a Nikon Coolpix L110, she also has been using my old Pentax K1000 and ME Super for her photography class. My question is in your opinion which Digital DLR Camera and lens kit would be best for a young but serious persons interested wildlife as well as general photo taking?

Thank

Ron Brooks

Re: digital SLR Question

Postby bhorsley » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:01 am

i have no actual hands on but have read some good stuff about the Nikon d3200. I would also look at the Cannon Rebels

I buy a good bit of used gear from KEH.com. Lefty told us about KEH 20 years ago
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby RWB » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:16 pm

Thanks for the infromation, will check out that wed site as well as the d3200.

Thank

Ron

Postby kendalloz » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:13 pm

We get Consumer Reports here and the Canon and Nikon DSLRs are usually at the top of the lists. They all take excellent images so it can come down to features and price.

All of the bodies/sensors do a good job now. Better than most people can get out of them. The major difference is in the lenses. So you can do well by going cheap and used on
a body and spending more on glass. Also, if your daughter will be shooting outside a lot a used "pro-like" body that is made of metal and weather sealed may hold up better than
a cheaper all plastic not-sealed body. I second the used stuff....KEH, B and H, and Adorama all sell used stuff. Their rating systems are accurate and if something arrives and does not
work they will take it back. I get most of my stuff used/open box now.

There is a lot of basic info at

http://www.kenrockwell.com/

Rockwell can help you find high-quality less expensive glass and bodies.....

Also......

http://www.bythom.com/

and.....

http://www.dpreview.com/

and also refurbished stuff....refurbished items sold by the manufacturer usually pass a much more strict quality check than new stuff.

Postby RWB » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:30 am

Thanks Kendal this is very helpful and informative.

Thank

Ron

Postby Biff » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:53 pm

Seeing that almost all of them can shoot nice images, ask more about what kind of stuff she is into shooting, not just now, but what she WANTS to but can't. Some do a better job in low light, some excel in rapid sequence, some do better at being movie cameras, then come back and you'll get better answers. And since glass is equivalent overall, don't worry about that too much, most starters are going aftermarket anyway. But a very important factor is which one feels right to her, where the controls fall easily to hand, are well organized, how does it fit her face? Can she see around the body when something gets out of view and she needs to relocate her subject? The offsets and size and weight differences can influence whether she ever gets comfortable with it. In the end, the one she uses will be the best for her, so before considering our suggestions, Consumer Reports, DP review, etc. take her to a store that has most in stock and play with them Loomis makes awesome rods, but I cast easier with my St. Croix or Sage, so I catch more fish with them. Because I use them. Same with cameras.
You can never take a picture of a thing, you can only take a picture of the light on a thing - "the way that light attaches to a girl"

Postby RWB » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:04 pm

Thanks Biff

That is a great idea and I will take her to one of the local camera stores and have her handle some of the digital SLR. I also will talk to her about what she is interested in photographing and what her needs are for thoughs subjects so we can make the right selection of body type and function.

Thanks
Ron

Return to Photography