Moderator Control Panel ]

Capturing Lightning

Show your stuff.

Capturing Lightning

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:59 pm

Hello All,

First off I want to say thanks to Brian for getting a photography section up and running. Now, to my question. Recently we've had some intense thunderstorms up here in da UP and I've been wanting to try and get some lightning shots but I haven't the slightest clue of how to attempt this. Does anyone have suggestions for what would get me started in accomplishing this?

Thanks

brad
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Re: Capturing Lightning

Postby kendalloz » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:13 am

You need a DSLR, a tripod, and a lightning trigger, and some lightning. I do not own a trigger but Knot Case does...maybe he will chime in.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... o_3_0.html

Postby Biff » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:23 pm

If the light is reasonably low you won't need the trigger at all. Keep your ISO low so you can run some long exposure times, if you have a reading of say, f16 at 15 seconds, go to f22 or so to get a darker sky and go for the shutter speed. If it's dak out (easiest) just find an appropriate time for the foreground, anything from a few seconds to a couple of minutes, preset you focus and go on "B" or dial up your time, and expose, the lighning takes it's own picture. This is one my son did this spring using a local pier as a framing element, and he knocked it over the fence! Exposed for one minute or so. Just play around until you find the combo that works for you, longer times let you get nice spiderwebs or multiple strikes and can be a blast!

You can never take a picture of a thing, you can only take a picture of the light on a thing - "the way that light attaches to a girl"

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:21 pm

Thanks guys. Summer still seems to have a bit of a punch left in it here in da UP so maybe I'll get another shot this summer to try it out. Much appreciated.
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Postby KnotCase » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:58 am

I have used a lightning trigger with some success. There are several on the market - the one I have is relatively inexpensive (around $100). The trigger allows you to shoot in daylight.
"You may attend a party where strange customs prevail."
- Fortune Cookie

Return to Photography