Moderator Control Panel ]

Early 'cores

Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout

Re: Early 'cores

Postby SOBX » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:08 pm

As good as it was Sunday, it was close to epic as you can get for early September this morning!!! NW 15 to 18 and schools of fish as far as you could see once at or just off the CL jetty. More of the nicer fish (to 10 pounds or so), more fish on larger bait (could see the glass minnows and gulls working, not just terns), and if you put a fly close, they would eat it, or at least 11 did!!! Very few boats, maybe 3 others and Doc Eiler and I left Tommy Bennett and Capt. Ken Kramer doubled up when I had to leave and get back to the office to get ready for a business trip to the lovely little town of Hertford, NC.

If this keeps up, or God forbid gets better, clients are gonna have to call me, 'cause I ain't going anywhere except to get gas in the boat and maybe buy some more flies/leaders!!! ;)

Good Fishing!!!

Postby bhorsley » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:30 pm

awesome CHuck---save some for me
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby SOBX » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:35 pm

Drove the boat for a couple of fly club buddies yesterday (we landed 16) and Tommy Bennett rode me around this morning for 10. Best early fishing I have ever seen! :D :D

Hope the fishing and the weather holds up til y'all get here, the smalls usually pull out and leave us chasing spanish, kings, drum and AJS til the "bigs" make it to town, but this doesn't look like a normal year.

Bait situation is National Geographic and just getting better by the hour, Bardens inlet looked like something off the Blue Planet films today!

Good Fishing!!!

Postby meatstick » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:42 pm

Chuck, sounds like you guys came down with "bendius graphiteus".

Hope things continue to "build" for y'all on the Cape.

Postby johnmauser » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:11 pm

From a few days ago....

Postby Emerson » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:02 pm

those guys look pretty darn nice :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ....can they last 5 more weeks????
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby bhorsley » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:28 pm

the first year and second year i was there --it started early and was done by the 17 th of Nov. AS long as they last until the 10th of October that will be just fine ;)

The biggest fish were always caught around October 18 to 25--do not know why. Think we caught the 23.5 pound fish on 19 of October
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby hh65cdr » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:01 pm

I cant wait :D
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Postby SOBX » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:20 pm

Boys, it has been as good as it gets with the only problem, if you could even call it one when the fish are "smalls", is having to catch smaller 'cores on lighter rods!!! We had fish all day and even had time for a fried chicken lunch at the Fish Hook Grill, numbers obscene and the level of fun was off the charts!

Maybe some pics Monday! I am "wore slam out"!!!

Good fishing!!!

Postby pmaxwell » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:41 pm

I hope it last.....
I'll be there early to mid Oct........ can you coral a couple of pods and hold em there?

PreviousNext

Return to Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout