Moderator Control Panel ]

Early 'cores

Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout

Re: Early 'cores

Postby SOBX » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:46 pm

We coulda fished today and some buddies went drum fishing. I thought about it, but severe thunderstorms of the house shaker variety kept most everybody from getting a good night's sleep, so I played with tackle and planned an assault for Sunday, Drum, albacore or specks, we'll make the call in the morning!

Good Fishing!!!

Postby meatstick » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:19 pm

Chuck, you will probably catch all 3 species Sunday.

Hope ya find chunky ones, no matter what species.

Postby DThimsen » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:02 pm

Hey Chuck,

What are the shoals looking like this season? I took a peek during a family outting about six weeks ago, and it was particularly nasty that day. I couldn't see the short-cut at the point, and it was a mess futher out.

Temps here in Raleigh are getting really nice - feels like fall. As soon I get past the MS 150 ride in New Bern (sept 11th), I'll be able to fish again. I hope the reports stay good.

Don
He who refuses to do arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense... John McCarthy

Postby SOBX » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:47 am

The shoals are tough Don! The short cut is pretty much gone unless this last storm made a new one. Haven't crossed sonce the last blow, but I will as soon as light SW let's me get to the eastard. Plenty of small 'cores over here, but they turned picky yesterday, til then they would eat. Heading out in 30 minutes to see if those nice blues are still in the inlet before chasing those small albacore on 6/7wts!

Good Fishing!!!

Postby KnotCase » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:13 pm

Me and Quincy got out on the water this morning and found the fatties with Chuck and the gang. Quincy got to see her first fish ever - a nice little football. :mrgreen:

Weather man got it wrong again. I was startin' to think Emerson must be on the Island! :o
"You may attend a party where strange customs prevail."
- Fortune Cookie

Postby KnotCase » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:26 pm

Bait everywhere, even in the HIFC harbor:

Breezy:
- Fortune Cookie

Postby SOBX » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:34 pm

As cool as it was yesterday, with the cloud cover, stiff NE and more chop on the water, today was as close to "on fire" as it gets with small albacore that just don't have the gumption to stay up! Don't know if I have ever had a 10 fish day on albies this early in September, but today I did and smacked 3 nice spanish to boot!

Casting was pain (that was not in the top 5 words I wanted to post), but if you got a tiny fly into the "meat" they would eat (sounds like OJ's trial)!!! :lol:

These flies are on 6/8 hooks and were trimmed to less than an inch or just over, and the bait is, to say the least, a "tid smaller"!

Sorry for the lack of pics, but it was a snotty day in a rocking boat and I was getting "bowed up"! ;) Monday looks like a blow day down here, NE picking up to 20/25kts, but this morning was an absolute blast.

Good Fishing!!!

Postby Emerson » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:02 pm

Great job Chuck :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Those flies look like they are tied with craft fur..Is that true? If so...easy to change sizes...smaller that is!

Looks like a blast!
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby kendalloz » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:46 pm

SUper! :D

Postby KnotCase » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:20 pm

Yes the albies were cooperating today. John Martyn fished with me and we had steady action for about 4 hours. We caught ours on mini-mushies about an inch long. And snotty it was - glad that water was 75 and not 65!
- Fortune Cookie

PreviousNext

Return to Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout