Moderator Control Panel ]

2017 VCFA House Report #20

Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout

2017 VCFA House Report #20

Postby fishermike » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:19 pm

Hi! Another great day on the water as we had 3 boats out today and we all caught albies, some more than others!! The house ended up hooking 29 and landing 22. We got a late start today as we thought the wind was going to keep blowing and when we finally got out on the water the Hook was dying out, but we did manage to hook 3 before moving on to the trawlers and that is where the action was today. Just about everyone was hooking up, but I did see some things that really troubled me. We were behind a couple of trawlers and the guy in the back was hand lining a short line with a baited hook of some of the by-catch and they were catching one albie after another. I saw about 5 of them pulled aboard in about 10 minutes before moving on and seeing another do the same thing. It is one thing for us to be catching and releasing these fish, it is quite another to watch someone catch and kill and dump into a bucket. I heard someone at the dock say the other day they were getting $.75 a pound for albies. If that is true and they are allowed to catch as many as they can unregulated, it is only a matter of time before this fishery is a thing of the past. Too bad!! Tomorrow looks like another good wx day so hope we are able to catch them again. We had good luck behind the trawlers casting any fly with gold and letting the fly get down deep. Then a couple of pulls and game on! Hope to see you all bowed up again tomorrow. Thanks and tight lines, mike buss

Return to Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout