Moderator Control Panel ]

2017 VCFA House Report #18

Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout

2017 VCFA House Report #18

Postby fishermike » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:33 pm

Hi! Sorry about the delay in this report, but we attended the Cape Lookout Fly Fishers annual banquet. We had a great time and kept the House record going of winning at least one raffle item each year we have attended. I was especially lucky to win the bid for the Ted Williams shadow box with flies tied by Ted Williams because he was a hero of mine when I was growing up. :D We had a good day yesterday with 4 boats out. We started in the Hook and it really came alive with lots of breaking fish, but they were picky and you had to work for them. We also caught them out in the middle of nowhere in the same place that we had been catching them the last few days, about 3 miles southwest of the #2 buoy. They were feeding on squid. We also had a sand person for the last 2 days and he hooked 13 and landed 8 of them from the beach. He would have had more but the boats really crowded him and cost him a couple of fish by running over his line. And that is a real sore spot for me as a guy who has spent a lot of time on the beach. Boats can go just about anywhere and it really is very inconsiderate when they crowd the guys on the beach who have been there all day waiting for something to happen and when it does only to see guys on boats who can go anywhere come in and try to horn in on the action. I used to bring a spinning rod with me to the beach to send out warning shots to any boats who came close to shore by putting a 4 oz stingsilver right next to their boat as a warning!! Some of you may have been recipients of some of those casts! On the whole it was a really nice day as we hooked 30 and landed 17 to bring our house total to 294 hooked and 174 landed so far with a week to go before we have to head back to reality! :( Thanks and tight lines, mike buss

Re: 2017 VCFA House Report #18

Postby MarkT » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:59 pm

I was actually surprised how close some of the boats were getting. I too started out fishing from the beach and we need to give them space. I was fishing solo and it was a challenge at times as boats would crowed me as well. I did catch a 15+ pounder though. Good Fishing!!

Return to Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout