Moderator Control Panel ]

2017 VCFA House Report #16

Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout

2017 VCFA House Report #16

Postby fishermike » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:20 pm

Hi! Another great day on the water as we had 3 boats out and hooked 22 and landed 15 albies. One of our boats went over to the East side but did not find much until they crossed back over and pulled up behind a trawler that was loaded with sharks. They had some fun with them and also managed to hook and land an albie. I started the day inside the Hook since conditions were almost the same as a couple of weeks ago when the hook was on fire in the morning, but not today. I did see a lot of bait balls on the depth finder. We then headed out to a trawler, but only got about 100 yards before we ran into breaking fish, but they were up and down and we didn't get a shot at them before they disappeared. We then headed out to the trawler and pulled in behind him and promptly hooked up, but the albie broke the leader. He hooked up again and got him behind the boat and he headed toward the motor and our angler tried to get some slack line but only managed to get a backlash in his backing. of course the albie broke off. It took us about 45 minutes to re-rig. When I started the engine, I glanced at the depth finder and it was alive with albie marks so we stayed put and managed to hook 14 and land 9 of them over the afternoon. We were about 3 miles southwest of the #2 buoy and the fish stayed with us all afternoon. They were up and down and if we would have tried to chase them, I don't think we would have done as well. We just meandered through at slow speed trolling and got hook up after hook up. We ended the day with a double hook up. Our other boat finally answered our calls and showed up and they just drifted and cast and hooked 7 and landed 3 of them. Great day on the water and hope we have the same results as today. Hope to see you all bowed up, thanks and tight lines, mike buss

Re: 2017 VCFA House Report #16

Postby dsqrd » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:42 pm

Thanks Mike for the great write-up!

Return to Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout