Moderator Control Panel ]

Sunday.

Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout

Sunday.

Postby yelladog » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:57 am

Been a little quiet on this board, brief report from this past Sunday:

Not to much breeze in the AM, headed to the hook with the old guys (dad and dad's friend), my wife and the yellow dog. Good spanish bite first couple hours of the incoming. Old guys took up the bow slinging metal, they did pretty good. My wife was on the stern and in search of her first fish on the fly in the salt, she was able to land a couple spanish later in the morning. Lots of fun to watch, she got a lot of bites close to the boat and was very excited. Yellow dog was restrained for most of the trip as there were many objects that appeared to need retrieving (gotcha plugs, hopkins spoons, pink and green clousers, fly lines...)

Chatted with the fellas in the yellow pathfinder (extremely nice guy) after things slowed down. Briefly discussed our new favorite player that wore baby blue - Rashad McCants, fly rods, dogs etc.

Ocean was too slick to head in before lunch so we hit some structure off the beach. Picked up four young brown fish (all about 31") including a triple header with one on the 8wt and an orange and chartreuse deceiver. All released. Left lunch at the dock, so snuck between the showers around 2:00PM in route back dock at Gloucester.

Re: Sunday.

Postby meatstick » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:42 pm

Ya done real good, Yelladog !! :mrgreen:

Postby SOBX » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:50 pm

Sweet work on the small cobes, and just outdamnstanding with the wife's first on the fly. We had been watching y'all for a while and were not sure you were married, but from your wife's reaction to losing a few and getting her fly slashed at close to the boat, both Hunter Albea and I figured she was very new to the saltwater game.

She'll remember that fish for a long time and it did me good to see someone so happy with a small Spanish! :D If I think back all the way to this morning, I can recall feeling almost the same way and if I'm lucky I'll get to feel that way til I'm long gone from this Earth ---- what a great sport we all enjoy! Welcome her to the asylum!

One thing I'd advise against, and I cringed when I saw you do it. Please don't ever hold something with teeth like that first Spanish and encourage your wife to give it a kiss. She was one slip of the hand or thrashing of the fish to heading to the ER or a Doc in the Box for stitches. Feel free to tell me it is none of my business and I'll glady agree, but please save the kisses for bass, reds, and anything without those teeth. :) Keep an eye on the lab too, saw one visit a vet and require 47 stitches when a small king got loose on deck, not mine, but I remember it vividly and still had no idea there was that much blood in a 60lb dog. ;)

Got a feeling we'll see y'all on the water again, or hail The Big Possum on ch 69, or shoot me a PM if your crew doesn't show up and we'll hop in the Pathy and catch something that'll put long rods in the shape we all love ---- bent and bowed up! :D

Congrats again to the wife on a very special fish with a very special crew, including that yellow dog! :D

Good Fishing!!!
Chuck Laughridge

Postby yelladog » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:28 am

Sounds good Chuck. And certainly appreciate the invite to hit the water in the yellow pathfinder, thanks!

Re: "spanish kiss" incident, funny you mention that. That was somewhat reactionary on my part (wife has landed quite a few panfish and bass in recent weeks on 5wt), and I realized it was probably not one of my better ideas in the process. Tossed it overboard before it got to close to her face, however this meant there was no picture... which I have been reminded of a few times since. A few years ago I tired to retrieve a fly from a big bluefish (no pliers of course), fish locked up on my index finger and there was a lot of blood on the deck in no time - I'd like to think I learned from that.

I have received requests for albacore, kingfish and "big drum" on the fly... we'll have to see if I can deliver as summer transitions into fall.

Thanks again Chuck and I'll probably see you out there again soon.

JP

Postby SOBX » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:59 am

Wasn't gonna mention the "no pic", but we heard some of the commentary all the way over in our boat. :lol: Do whatever you can to keep her catching fish and she can kiss the first big red! :D

Great wives love large Spanish, light & variable, yellow boats, labs of all colors, and rods that stay bent & bowed (TRUST ME ON THIS)! ;)

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc20 ... 910a28.jpg

If yours has a birthday coming up or even better, just do it a a random gift ---- find Capt Sarah, they'll be on Harkers from just after Labor Day til Christmas and give the gift that keeps on giving ---- some casting lessons. Best money you'll ever spend and will pay dividends that are priceless. :D

Good Fishing!!!

Postby TomM » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:17 pm

Last really good bleed was on that pathfinder when a finger slid Thru gills to teeth of a Spanish - don't jerk-

Postby Landlocked » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:35 pm

Sounds like a pretty darn good day. I only got to watch from shore this weekend. Had wife and kids in tow and had just a limited window for a Taylor creek cruise friday before the deluge.
Took possession of my "new to me" Regulator 24FS and can't wait to get her out to some wrecks/reefs. I'll miss my Pioneer and it's shallower ability but I can't wait to wrestle with some reef donkeys and other inhabitants of waters that were less friendly to the 19' Pioneer.

Return to Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout