Moderator Control Panel ]

Jily 25, just outside of the Beaufort inlet on AB side

Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout

Jily 25, just outside of the Beaufort inlet on AB side

Postby Keysjake » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:40 am

July 25, 2009

Greetings from Havelock:
:D Today was the first chance that I had to sample the great coastal fly fishing that is available here in coastal North Carolina since arriving home from Tarpon Season in the Keys with my Mom. I have been working on boats, equipment, tackle, along with planning my Sailfish Schools, Marlin Schools, and Our Fly Fishing for Sailfish Tournament this coming winter.
Today was invited to fish with my friend Chuck Laughridge however I over slept and never got to the water until 8:00 AM. I lowered the "Fly Reel" from her new lift on Radio Island, and headed out toward the inlet and then at 8:45 I saw some birds working over some Spanish mackerel and Bluefish. As I approached I began to see some Spanish jumping out of the water chasing small baits. I tied a small baitfish pattern onto a 6 weight rod and made a cast, I got my first Spanish of the day.
First Spanish of the day
What they were eating
After catching a couple of dozen, almost one on every cast, the fish dried up. I saw some birds working over near the beach and ran to the fish. On my first cast I got bit off so I changed to a rod with a 40 pound fluro carbon bite tippet and then caught my first Bluefish of the day. This school has lots of small Bluefish mixed in with some 26 inch Spanish Mackerel, all ate the fly very aggressively.
First Bluefish of the day.[/b]
[b] Then after catching close to 50 fish during the morning the weather began to look bad with dark clouds and the wind picking up, I decided to head for home.

On the way in Beaufort Inlet I stopped by "Camp Rogers" and saw Buddy casting from the beach into a big bait ball. I stopped to say hello and then headed for home, Grilling some fish and then a well deserved nap. I sure am glad to be home, more reports to follow.
Regards:
Jake
Captain Jake Jordan

Re: Jily 25, just outside of the Beaufort inlet on AB side

Postby Emerson » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:44 am

Great report Jake....looks like you had a blast...even though you slept in! :D

Sailfish schools should be great.... we got ourselves a return to school trip for March...I guess we were slow learners the first time! :lol:
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby BlueHeron » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:50 pm

NIce first day "up north" Jake

E - we learned enough to know to go back!!!
Dave
the bus came by and I got on
that's when it all began

Postby Keysjake » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:48 am

Emerson and Dave:
Glad to hear that you will be returning to Casa Vieja Lodge, fishing there for Blue marlin was good last week, 4 caught on fly. I hope to see you there in March.
Jake
Captain Jake Jordan

Postby scarter » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:03 pm

Good report of a nice morning, Jake! :!: Sounds like they were chewing. Be back down to Harkers next week, will be in touch.

Smoot
" You can mow the grass if you want to, and you'd better want to.."
Dad

Return to Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout